[comp.windows.x.motif] Application Modal Focus & mwm

steve@wattres.uucp (Steve Watt) (01/09/91)

  I have had several requests from various users on how to do this, but I'm
not sure it's possible...

  The scenario:  Joe Luser has the keyboard focus policy set to pointer,
and he/she runs an application (mine) that has a few modal dialog boxes.
Whenever one of the dialogs comes up, he/she has to move the pointer into
the box to answer the prompt.

  The desired semantic is more like this:  If there is one application modal
dialog up, when the pointer is in the main window, the focus is in the modal
dialog.  If there are multiple ones up, the focus is delivered as it currently
is.

  I'm not sure if there are enough properties on the application modal windows
for mwm to figure out what's going on, but it seems that this would be the
nicest (and, unfortunately, more Presentation-Manager-like) way of doing
things.

  Maybe the right answer is to use twm, since I hear it can do *everything*.
Except interact exactly right with the Motif widget set...  c'est la vie.
--
Steve Watt
...!claris!wattres!steve		wattres!steve@claris.com also works

marbru@attc.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (01/10/91)

In article <1991Jan9.094339.1683@wattres.uucp> steve@wattres.UUCP (Steve Watt) writes:

>  The scenario:  Joe Luser has the keyboard focus policy set to pointer,
>and he/she runs an application (mine) that has a few modal dialog boxes.
>Whenever one of the dialogs comes up, he/she has to move the pointer into
>the box to answer the prompt.

    One place where we had to abbandon Motif guidelines (under threats of
    our existing users) was just like this:

    When the application pops-up something (application modal or a popup menu)
    AS A RESULT OF USER ACTION ON THE APPLICATION (not when user is elsewhere)
    we WARP POINTER to the appropriate location in the popup; when the popup
    goes away we WARP the pointer BACK where it was before.

    As I have given up on being a Style Guide guru long time ago, we probably
    violate the rule "don't warp pointer". So what. I am lucky we don't strive
    for Motif compatibility - we only migrate to Motif toolkit in a hope that
    we may strive for Motif compatibility in the future (when, may be, Motif
    becomes more usefull to us).

--
=*= Opinions presented here are solely of my own and not those of Auto-trol =*=
Martin Brunecky                           {...}sunpeaks!auto-trol!marbru