[comp.windows.x.motif] On blocking and intercepting input in Motif applications

tjhorton@vis.toronto.edu ("Timothy J. Horton") (01/18/91)

vrenjak@rm1.UUCP (Milan Vrenjak) writes:
>We are looking for a way to block a Motif application from further input
>(mouse or keyboard) while performing database updates and retrieval.
>I know there has been some discussion about blocking applications,
>however, our news server expires news weekly, so I can't get back to
>it. If anybody has summary I'd much appreciate it.
>
>It would also be nice to intercept a 'special' key such as escape that
>would allow the user to bring up a dialogue to abort the transaction
>or show the application is working.

Make the top level window and top level dialogs insensitive:
XtSetSensitive(widget, FALSE).  This is an inherited property,
which automatically applies to all children of  the widget you
set insensitive (ie everything in the dialog).  If you want to
allow for aborts, pop up a separate dialog with a pushbutton
to abort.

[note to originator: couldn't reach rm1, had to post the reply]

Tim