[comp.windows.x.motif] update 1.0.3 or better

ajm@seqp4.ORG (A.J.Madison) (01/28/91)

Oh good grief, I have just learned that Motif 1.0.X is no longer eligible
for distribution or updates.  For various reasons, my company wants to
distribute X11R3 and Motif 1.0.X, lack of full time resources being the
strongest factor.

Here then are a series of *dumb* questions:

1) What is update 1.0.3?  Is it just a couple of updates/patches, or an
entire source tape that needs to be ported?

2) There seems to be some implication that 1.0.4 exists.  Should I be
asking for that instead?

3) When updating to 1.0.3, how large an effort is it?  Obviously if it
is a *couple* of changes to source, then the effort is not very large.
If it is a complete portation, then the effort is very large.  In other
words, if you were to sit down and attempt a 1.0.3 upgrade, how many
person days would you schedule for the work, start to finish?

4) Provided that the 1.0.3 changes are relatively few, anyone out there
willing to send me the motifications?  I don't think there are any legal
ramifications, considering how this arrangement is supposed to work, but
then again, i have not read the contract.  Please feel free to chastise
me if i've missed the point on this issue.

Thanks in advance.
when everyone is out to get you, being paranoid is just good thinking.
         - Dr. Johnny Fever
<in other words, standard disclaimer>
A.J. Madison                               ajm@seqp4@m2c.m2c.org@uunet
Sequoia Systems Inc.                   seqp4!ajm@endor@das.harvard.edu

dbrooks@osf.org (01/29/91)

A. J. Madison wrote:

> 1) What is update 1.0.3?  Is it just a couple of updates/patches, or an
> entire source tape that needs to be ported?

It's a number of complete source files that are loaded on top of a
source tree.  This source tree should be at 1.0.2, which is itself an
overlay on the complete 1.0.A.

> 2) There seems to be some implication that 1.0.4 exists.  Should I be
> asking for that instead?

Not instead, but as well.  If you call our admin for 1.0.4, you can
request 1.0.2/3 at the same time.

> 3) When updating to 1.0.3, how large an effort is it...
> ... if you were to sit down and attempt a 1.0.3 upgrade, how many
> person days would you schedule for the work, start to finish?

Exactly as long as it takes to re-make the libraries and clients.  Lunch.

> 4) Provided that the 1.0.3 changes are relatively few, anyone out there
> willing to send me the motifications?  I don't think there are any legal
> ramifications, considering how this arrangement is supposed to work, but
> then again, i have not read the contract.  Please feel free to chastise
> me if i've missed the point on this issue.

That would not be proper.  Assuming your license includes tech
updates, you can just call Motif support administration at
(617)621-8990 or motif-support-admin@osf.org.

David Brooks
Systems Engineering
Open Software Foundation