[comp.windows.x.motif] Can I turn off list selection?

sharonc@meaddata.com (Sharon Crichton) (01/29/91)

Hello all. I have a situation where I need to display a list of
items but just for informational purposes. Users cannot do anything
with the items in the list, so I would like to turn off selection.
I have tried to fake it out with a scrollable text widget (I need
both horizontal and vertical scrolling) by setting all of the
resource values (i.e. XmNeditable to false, XmNcursorPositionVisible
to false, etc.) But that still did not prevent me from dragging my
mouse over the text and having it highlighted. Even though nothing
can be done with the text once it is highlighted.

So what I would like to do is set the XmNselectionPolicy on my
list widget to something like NULL, so that the users cannot select
items. If that's not possible, I'd like to know how I can turn
off mouse selection/highlighting on a text widget.

I'm currently using Motif 1.1 under X11/R4.

Thanks in advance to all who would offer help!

Sharon Crichton				CDS Systems Evolution
sharonc@meaddata.com			Mead Data Central
sharonc%meaddata@uunet.uu.net		P.O. Box 933
					Dayton, OH 45401
Quoth the Raven,
"Eat my shorts!"

meeks@osf.org (W. Scott Meeks) (01/29/91)

>From: meaddata!sharonc@uunet.uu.net  (Sharon Crichton)
>
>Hello all. I have a situation where I need to display a list of
>items but just for informational purposes. Users cannot do anything
>with the items in the list, so I would like to turn off selection.

The easiest way to do this is to use XtSetSensitive to set the List widget
insensitive.  This has no visual effect in 1.1 but it does prevent the user
from making selections, though the application can still use the API to
make selections from the list.

If you have any questions, please ask.

W. Scott Meeks           | We must live with the fact, true throughout recorded
Open Software Foundation | history, that our artifacts are sometimes flawed and
meeks@osf.org            | cause us to die in novel and unexpected ways, and we
(617) 621-7229           | can only do our human best to minimize the problems.

achan@sparkle.nec.com (Amy Chan) (01/30/91)

In article <2610@meaddata.meaddata.com> sharonc%meaddata@uunet.uu.net writes:
>Hello all. I have a situation where I need to display a list of
>items but just for informational purposes. Users cannot do anything
>with the items in the list, so I would like to turn off selection.
>I have tried to fake it out with a scrollable text widget (I need
>both horizontal and vertical scrolling) by setting all of the
>resource values (i.e. XmNeditable to false, XmNcursorPositionVisible
>to false, etc.) But that still did not prevent me from dragging my
>mouse over the text and having it highlighted. Even though nothing
>can be done with the text once it is highlighted.
>
>So what I would like to do is set the XmNselectionPolicy on my
>list widget to something like NULL, so that the users cannot select
>items. If that's not possible, I'd like to know how I can turn
>off mouse selection/highlighting on a text widget.
>
>I'm currently using Motif 1.1 under X11/R4.

If you remove all the existing translations of the list widget by
using XtUninstallTranslations(), users will not be able to do
anything with the items in the list.

Hope this helps.

Amy Chan
NEC America, Inc., San Jose, CA
achan@tdd.sj.nec.com

tomt@maui.coral.com (Tom Tulinsky) (01/30/91)

) Hello all. I have a situation where I need to display a list of
) items but just for informational purposes. Users cannot do anything
) with the items in the list, so I would like to turn off selection.

Are you sure you want to turn off selection?  The use might want to
copy and paste items from the list to another window, say into a
document.

 Coral
     * **	Tom Tulinsky                508 460-6010
  *  **		Coral Network Corporation   fax 508 481-6258
*  ** 		734 Forest St               net: tomt@coral.com
 ***		   Marlboro, MA 01752
  **		   U S A
*********