[comp.windows.x.motif] Fonts, fonts, everywhere...

pjp@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Pat J. Pinchera) (01/22/91)

Is there a font that is common to all hardware platforms? I've noticed that
when I switch from the DECstation to the VAXstation, the DEFAULT_CHAR_SET
that is chosen is different, resulting in the effective lengths of labels,
lists, text, etc. being different, and hence, 'running into each other'.

If I could guarantee that the same font is used, then the layout of the
dialogs would be the exact same.  Could this be defined in the app-defaults
file, or does it have to be hard-coded?

Thanks in advance.
Motif 1.1, VMS, VAXstation 3100

Patrick J. Pinchera

tjhorton@vis.toronto.edu ("Timothy J. Horton") (01/23/91)

pjp@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com writes:
>Is there a font that is common to all hardware platforms? I've noticed that
>when I switch from the DECstation to the VAXstation, the DEFAULT_CHAR_SET
>that is chosen is different, resulting in the effective lengths of labels,
>lists, text, etc. being different, and hence, 'running into each other'.
>If I could guarantee that the same font is used, then the layout of the
>dialogs would be the exact same.  Could this be defined in the app-defaults
>file, or does it have to be hard-coded?

You could either carry around your own font and add it to the fonts directory,
or use one of the fonts in the original X distribution (although it seems that
not all porting outfits understand that there ever was a semi-standard set of
fonts -- my SCO port is missing many of them).  Of this set, one of either
6x10, 6x12, 8x13, or 9x15 (all "I think"s) is likely to fit your bill, if
you can tolerate fixed width fonts.  These normally live in the "misc" sub-
directory of your fonts directory.

nazgul@alfalfa.com (Kee Hinckley) (01/31/91)

> Is there a font that is common to all hardware platforms? I've noticed that
> when I switch from the DECstation to the VAXstation, the DEFAULT_CHAR_SET
> that is chosen is different, resulting in the effective lengths of labels,
> lists, text, etc. being different, and hence, 'running into each other'.
>
> If I could guarantee that the same font is used, then the layout of the
> dialogs would be the exact same.  Could this be defined in the app-defaults
> file, or does it have to be hard-coded?

For what it's worth, this is one reason (internationalization being
the other obvious extension) that I *never* use an absolute size
or position in my apps.  Forms, Tables and RowCols all the way.
This is also one reason why I consider virtual toolkits to be
virtually useless for real apps.

						-kee