[comp.windows.x.motif] how to trap f.kill

tony@sat.uucp (01/22/91)

I need to trap the f.kill issued by the window manager (at user command)
and do some cleaning up before my application exits; is there any way to
trap this "event or signal" ?

any responses will be greatly appreciated !!
--
Tony Leung  vsi1!sat!tony    tony%sat@vicom.com

evans@decvax.DEC.COM (Marc Evans) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan22.010234.15702@sat.uucp>, tony@sat.uucp writes:
|> I need to trap the f.kill issued by the window manager (at user command)
|> and do some cleaning up before my application exits; is there any way to
|> trap this "event or signal" ?

Use the XSetIOErrorHandler function to set up a function to be called when
the Fatal IO error occurs, one of which would be a server disconnection. You
will need to be careful here, in that the only other X calls you should make
are to free memory. The function is not expected to return, so be sure that
it doesn't.

- Marc
Marc Evans - WB1GRH - evans@decvax.DEC.COM  | Synergytics     (603)635-8876
      Unix and X Software Contractor        | 21 Hinds Ln, Pelham, NH 03076

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (02/04/91)

In article <110630031@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com> keith@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Keith Taylor) writes:
>Use the WM_DELETE_WINDOW protocol as described in the Inter-Client
>Communication Conventions Manual (ICCCM).  You will get a
>WM_DELETE_WINDOW message from the window manager in response to an
>f.kill.

I don't think that TWM can trap f.kill, even if WM_DELETE_WINDOW is set
on a window.  I believe the function you need to use to destroy a window
that uses the WM_DELETE_WINDOW protocol f.delete.  See the man page for
TWM.

| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 | FAX (617)890-8694         | bill@polygen.com            |