[comp.windows.x.motif] Colorful text widgets

knight@csli.Stanford.EDU (Bob Knight) (02/07/91)

I need a widget that will hold text in row/column format and will
support multiple colors in each of the cells.  Something that's
spreadsheet-like with color would be ideal.

Is there a widget in a toolkit out there that already does this
(so that I can avoid rolling my own)?  The alternatives I see right
now are using a XmRowColumn widget with a bunch of XmText widget children,
or putting the text on the window explicitly.

We're using Motif on HP 9000s, if that makes any difference.

This is my first foray into X hacking, so if there's a better way,
I'd sure like to hear about it before I start off in the wrong direction.

Any suggestions, hunks-o-code, or whatever would be greatly appreciated.
Please e-mail responses, as I don't get direct access to the news.

Thanx,
Patrick H. Madden (from Bob Knight's account)
knight@sfi.santafe.edu
or pickle@sfi.santafe.edu
--I'll have on my sombrero, and of course I'll wear a pair of Levis
--over my lead BVDs.

marbru@attc.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (02/09/91)

In article <17616@csli.Stanford.EDU> knight@csli.Stanford.EDU (Bob Knight) writes:
>I need a widget that will hold text in row/column format and will
>support multiple colors in each of the cells.  Something that's
>spreadsheet-like with color would be ideal.

   Why not use XmLabel in some box organizer (RowColumn would
   also work: Rows of Columns of Lables.

   Unless you want to do heavy editing, Label is much cheaper
  than anything else. And you can even implemnt some simplistic
   editing of your own. On many machines SetValues on the labelString
   of 20 characters is no performance problem.

--
=*= Opinions presented here are solely of my own and not those of Auto-trol =*=
Martin Brunecky                           {...}sunpeaks!auto-trol!marbru