[comp.windows.x.motif] 16 colors with MWM

jka@radar0.larc.nasa.gov (J. Keith Alston) (02/06/91)

Hello,
    I am running ISC unix 2.2 on a compaq 386/33 with the
    motif(1.0.3) development system. I've written an application
    using the motif widgets, and I want to display 16
    colors in one window. When I run this application under
    the Motif window manager it only displays about 5 colors,
    when I run under UWM I get all 16 colors. Anyone have
    any idea why this is happening? Is there something I need
    to do in the Mwm app-defaults file?
	                  Thanks for any help,

--
"In this world you must be OH so smart or OH so pleasant...
			 I recommend pleasant"----> Elwood P. Dowd

gaf@uucs1.UUCP (gaf) (02/08/91)

(J. Keith Alston) writes:
>    When I run this application under
>    the Motif window manager it only displays about 5 colors,
>    when I run under UWM I get all 16 colors.

The Motif Window Manager (mwm) gobbles colors for its own use.
Remember, that 3-D effect is achieved by using 3 colors (highlight,
background, shadow) for the window frame with the focus and 3 colors
(highlight, background, shadow) for windows without the focus.  Then 2
more for active foreground & inactive foreground, for a total of 8.

In the 1.0.* releases it gobbles the colormap entries even if it doesn't
use them (e.g. if you use black for active & inactive foreground and
shadow colors).

If you have a 16 cell colormap with an application which needs to display
16 colors simultaneously, you can either use a server with a bigger
colormap (we switched from VGA to a Paradise 8514/A) or have the app
install its own colormap (which will make other apps' colors look wrong).
--
Guy Finney					It's that feeling of deja-vu
UUCS inc.   Phoenix, Az				all over again.

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (02/08/91)

In article <1991Feb6.135146.2576@news.larc.nasa.gov> jka@radar0.larc.nasa.gov (J. Keith Alston) writes:

|> Hello,
|>     I am running ISC unix 2.2 on a compaq 386/33 with the
|>     motif(1.0.3) development system. I've written an application
|>     using the motif widgets, and I want to display 16
|>     colors in one window. When I run this application under
|>     the Motif window manager it only displays about 5 colors,
|>     when I run under UWM I get all 16 colors. Anyone have
|>     any idea why this is happening? Is there something I need
|>     to do in the Mwm app-defaults file?
|> 	                  Thanks for any help,

	Try the following resources in your .Xdefaults file.  These resource
	setting will force Mwm to use only black and white.  So instead of
	using the usual 6-8 colors, only two colors would be used.

	=Mike

XLoad*background:		White
XLoad*foreground:		Black

XTerm*background:		Black
XTerm*foreground:		White
XTerm*cursorColor:		Black

mwm*armColor:			white

! MONOCHROME setup

Mwm*cleanText:				True

Mwm*activeBackground:	 	white
Mwm*activeForeground: 		black
Mwm*background:		 	white
Mwm*foreground: 		black

Mwm*client*activeBackgroundPixmap:	50_foreground
Mwm*client*activeTopShadowPixmap:	foreground
Mwm*client*activeBottomShadowPixmap:	background

!Mwm*client*background:		 	white
!Mwm*client*foreground:	 		black
Mwm*client*backgroundPixmap:		75_foreground
Mwm*client*topShadowPixmap:		foreground
Mwm*client*bottomShadowPixmap:		background

!Mwm*feedback*background:		white
!Mwm*feedback*foreground:	 	black
Mwm*feedback*backgroundPixmap:		50_foreground
!Mwm*feedback*topShadowPixmap:		25_foreground
!Mwm*feedback*bottomShadowPixmap:	background

!Mwm*menu*background:			white
!Mwm*menu*foreground:			black
Mwm*menu*backgroundPixmap:		foreground
!Mwm*menu*topShadowPixmap:		foreground
!Mwm*menu*bottomShadowPixmap:		background

!Mwm*icon*background:		 	white
!Mwm*icon*foreground:	 		black
Mwm*icon*activeBackgroundPixmap:	50_foreground
Mwm*icon*activeBottomShadowPixmap:	foreground
Mwm*icon*backgroundPixmap:		75_foreground
--
= Michael K. Yee		-- yee@osf.org or uunet!osf.org!yee --
= OSF/Motif Development

mayer@hplabsz.HP.COM (Niels Mayer) (02/10/91)

In article <403@uucs1.UUCP> gaf@uucs1.UUCP () writes:
>(J. Keith Alston) writes:
>>    When I run this application under
>>    the Motif window manager it only displays about 5 colors,
>>    when I run under UWM I get all 16 colors.
>
> The Motif Window Manager (mwm) gobbles colors for its own use.
> Remember, that 3-D effect is achieved by using 3 colors (highlight,
> background, shadow) for the window frame with the focus and 3 colors
> (highlight, background, shadow) for windows without the focus.  Then 2
> more for active foreground & inactive foreground, for a total of 8.

mwm does not have to gobble colors. If you are running on a system
with limited # of planes, you should set up a "color scheme" in which
you decide that you will use color X for all foregrounds of
applications, Y for all backgrounds, Z for topshadow colors, and W for
bottomshadows... In this way multiple applications and multiple
widgets will be sharing color planes.  In my experience, this is
absolutely necessary for systems with 4our and 6ix planes, but with 8
or more planes, you may let Motif run wild.

> In the 1.0.* releases it gobbles the colormap entries even if it doesn't
> use them (e.g. if you use black for active & inactive foreground and
> shadow colors).

Does setting "mwm*makeColors: none" help??

> If you have a 16 cell colormap with an application which needs to display
> 16 colors simultaneously, you can either use a server with a bigger
> colormap (we switched from VGA to a Paradise 8514/A) or have the app
> install its own colormap (which will make other apps' colors look wrong).

I don't think you need to do this if you follow the advice above (and below).

			--------------------

Here are some examples I have from the days when I had a 4 plane display.
Some of these resources may be invalid, since I was using Motif 0.7 at the
time:
			--------------------

		Mwm*makeColors:	none
		Mwm*foreground:		White
		Mwm*background:		BlueViolet
		Mwm*topShadowColor:	LightBlue
		Mwm*topShadowTile:	foreground
		Mwm*bottomShadowColor:	Black
		Mwm*bottomShadowTile:	foreground
		Mwm*icon*topShadowColor:		LightBlue
		Mwm*icon*bottomShadowColor:		Black
		Mwm*client*foreground:			White
		Mwm*client*background:			BlueViolet
		Mwm*client*topShadowColor:		LightBlue
		Mwm*client*bottomShadowColor:		DimGrey
		Mwm*client*activeTopShadowColor:	White
		Mwm*client*activeBottomShadowColor:	Black
		Mwm*client*topShadowTile:		foreground
		Mwm*client*bottomShadowTile:		foreground
		Mwm*client*activeTopShadowTile:	foreground
		Mwm*client*activeBottomShadowTile:	foreground
		Mwm*makeActiveColors:	none
		Mwm*activeForeground:		Yellow
		Mwm*activeForeground:		DarkOrchid
		Mwm*activeBackground:		DarkOrchid
		Mwm*activeBackground:		Pink
		Mwm*activeTopShadowColor:	Wheat
		Mwm*activeBottomShadowColor:	DimGrey
		Mwm*makeIconColors:	none
		Mwm*iconImageForeground:	White
		Mwm*iconImageBackground:	DarkOrchid
		Mwm*iconImageForeground:	White
		Mwm*iconImageBackground:	MidnightBlue
		Mwm*iconImageTopShadowColor:	Black
		Mwm*iconImageTopShadowTile:	foreground
		Mwm*iconImageBottomShadowColor:	LightBlue
		Mwm*iconImageBottomShadowTile:	foreground
		Mwm*makeMatteColors:	none
		Mwm*matteBackground:		DarkSlateGrey
		Mwm*matteForeground:		Yellow

				--------------------

Incase anybody cares, here's my current mwm settings:

		#
		# MWM
		#
		Mwm*iconBoxGeometry:		14x1+0+0

		Mwm*buttonBindings:		ButtonBindings
		Mwm*keyBindings:		KeyBindings

		Mwm*useIconBox:			True
		Mwm*iconBoxSBDisplayPolicy:	vertical
		Mwm*iconAutoPlace:		True
		Mwm*fadeNormalIcon:		True
		Mwm*iconDecoration:		label image activelabel
		Mwm*iconPlacement:		top left
		Mwm*iconPlacementMargin:	0
		Mwm*iconbox*clientDecoration: 	maximize minimize menu
		Mwm*iconbox*troughColor: Grey

		Mwm*iconClick:			False
		Mwm*wMenuButtonClick:		True
		!! if set to true, then double click on window menu kills window.
		Mwm*wMenuButtonClick2:		True

		Mwm*Winterp*iconImage:		/usr/include/X11/bitmaps/wingdogs
		Mwm*WinterpCtrlPnl*iconImage:   /usr/local/include/X11/bitmaps/scrap-i.h
		Mwm*xterm*iconImage:		/usr/local/include/X11/bitmaps/term.xbm
		Mwm*kermitxterm*iconImage:	/usr/local/include/X11/bitmaps/phone
		Mwm*hpterm*iconImage:		/usr/local/include/X11/bitmaps/term-i.h
		Mwm*Gnuvo*iconImage:		/usr/local/include/X11/bitmaps/gnuvo-i.h
		Mwm*CFiles*iconImage:		/usr/local/include/X11/bitmaps/gnuvo-c.xbm
		Mwm*MailFiles*iconImage:	/usr/local/include/X11/bitmaps/gnuvo-draft.xbm
		Mwm*LispFiles*iconImage:	/usr/local/include/X11/bitmaps/gnuvo-lsp.xbm
		Mwm*TextFiles*iconImage:	/usr/local/include/X11/bitmaps/gnuvo-txt.xbm
		Mwm*TeXFiles*iconImage:		/usr/local/include/X11/bitmaps/gnuvo-TeX.xbm
		Mwm*Gnuvominibuffer*iconImage:	/usr/local/include/X11/bitmaps/gnuvo-i.h
		Mwm*Scratch*iconImage:		/usr/local/include/X11/bitmaps/gnuvo-i.h
		Mwm*Aux*iconImage:		/usr/local/include/X11/bitmaps/gnuvo-i.h
		Mwm*x11lock*iconImage:		/usr/local/X11/x11lock/padlock.bm
		Mwm*x11emacs*iconImage:		/usr/local/include/X11/bitmaps/gnuemacs-i.h
		Mwm*datebook*iconImage:		/usr/local/include/X11/bitmaps/datebook-i.h
		Mwm*xclock*iconImage:		/usr/local/include/X11/bitmaps/clock
		Mwm*xwebster*iconImage:		/usr/local/include/X11/bitmaps/xwebster-i.h
		Mwm*clipboard*iconImage:	/usr/local/include/X11/bitmaps/scrap-i.h
		Mwm*XMan*iconImage:		/usr/local/include/X11/bitmaps/xman-i.h
		Mwm*Cscope*iconImage:		/usr/local/include/X11/bitmaps/cscope-i.h
		Mwm*xhexcalc*iconImage:		/usr/local/include/X11/bitmaps/calc-i.h

		Mwm*saveUnder:			True
		Mwm*interactivePlacement:	True
		Mwm*keyboardFocusPolicy:	Pointer
		Mwm*colormapFocusPolicy:	Pointer
		Mwm*limitResize:		False
		Mwm*focusAutoRaise:		False
		Mwm*positionOnScreen:		False
		Mwm*resizeCursors:		True
		Mwm*resizeBorderWidth:		5
		Mwm*matteWidth:			0

		Mwm*menu*bottomTitleSeparator*separatorType:	single_line
		Mwm*feedback*confirmbox*highlightColor:	Red

		Mwm*XClock*clientDecoration:	none
		Mwm*oclock*clientDecoration:	none
		Mwm*xperfmon*clientDecoration:	none
		Mwm*moniterm*clientDecoration:	none
		Mwm*Gnuvominibuffer*clientDecoration: border
		Mwm*console*clientDecoration:	none
		Mwm*xckmail*clientDecoration:	none
		Mwm*cutdisp*clientDecoration:	none

		Mwm*client*fontList:	hp8.8x16b

[...]