[comp.windows.x.motif] keystroke capture in Motif

doc@xyvi.UUCP (Murtaza A. Doctor) (02/06/91)

I am attempting to capture keystrokes under a motif environment for
performance evaluation. There does not appear to be any interface
function available to do this.
 If any information about keystroke capture under motif is available
I would greatly appreciate a response. Thank you.

M. Doctor

lfs@mbunix.mitre.org (Sheats) (02/06/91)

>Article 1661 in comp.windows.x.motif
>From: doc@xyvi.UUCP (Murtaza A. Doctor)
>I am attempting to capture keystrokes under a motif environment for
>performance evaluation. There does not appear to be any interface
>function available to do this.
> If any information about keystroke capture under motif is available
>I would greatly appreciate a response. Thank you.

I would also appreciate a response.  In addition, if the ability to capture
keystrokes is available (either under Xlib, Xt or Xm), I would be interested
in knowing whether or not the saved keystrokes can be "played back" (i.e. can
the saved input be "fed" back to the server to put the application into some
kind of "auto-pilot" mode)?

Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

(email is: lfs@mbunix.mitre.org).  Thank you.

evans@decvax.DEC.COM (Marc Evans) (02/11/91)

In article <1991Feb5.234055.8735@linus.mitre.org>, lfs@mbunix.mitre.org (Sheats) writes:
|> >Article 1661 in comp.windows.x.motif
|> >From: doc@xyvi.UUCP (Murtaza A. Doctor)
|> >I am attempting to capture keystrokes under a motif environment for
|> >performance evaluation. There does not appear to be any interface
|> >function available to do this.
|> > If any information about keystroke capture under motif is available
|> >I would greatly appreciate a response. Thank you.
|>
|> I would also appreciate a response.  In addition, if the ability to capture
|> keystrokes is available (either under Xlib, Xt or Xm), I would be interested
|> in knowing whether or not the saved keystrokes can be "played back" (i.e. can
|> the saved input be "fed" back to the server to put the application into some
|> kind of "auto-pilot" mode)?
|>
|> Any information on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Look into the XTrap server/library extension and sample programs. XTrap provides
for the capture of XEvents and XRequests (we haven't found a need for XReplies yet).
The sample programs provide for primitive record/playback which is a good basis for
extending into regression tools (DEC sells one called DTM for VMS, soon Ultrix too).

The XTrap sources are freely available via ftp from both expo.lcs.mit.edu and also
gatekeeper.dec.com. The original announcement follows:

	Date: Sat, 12 Jan 91 15:45:14 EST
	From: coutu@decvax.dec.com

	The XTrap server extension is now available for public use and review.
	XTrap provides the ability to do playback and recording of an
	interactive user's actions on an X workstation.

	In order to use XTrap you must have the source distribution of X11R4
	or access to X11R4 compliant windowing source code. The kit is
	designed to be restored onto an X11R4 directory heirarchy and will
	require rebuilding of your X server (since it is a server extension.)
	The kit is pretty much a 'plug and play' option. You will have to
	write no additional code to make it work.

	The kit is being made available via anonymous ftp from:

	gatekeeper.dec.com	pub/X11/contrib/XTrap_v31.tar.Z
	expo.lcs.mit.edu		contrib/XTrap_v31.tar.Z

	and contains a postscript document which describes the XTrap
	architecture, functional specifications, and user level details.
	It will be submitted to comp.sources.x in the near future (probably
	next week.)

	--
	Dan Coutu			coutu@decvax.dec.com
	Open Systems Group (ULTRIX)	"'...he who will not risk, cannot win.'

- Marc
Marc Evans - WB1GRH - evans@decvax.DEC.COM  | Synergytics     (603)635-8876
      Unix and X Software Contractor        | 21 Hinds Ln, Pelham, NH 03076

dwight@geohub.gcn.uoknor.edu (Dwight D. Moore) (02/12/91)

can

You  could try looking into the XtAppAddActionHook() in the Xtoolkit.
This can register an Action routine to be called  when an action routine is
about to be
called .  The routine you register is called before the action routine. RTFM.

                                Dwight D. Moore
                         Geosciences Computing Network
                            University of Oklahoma

                  dwight@geohub.gcn.uoknor.edu (129.15.40.10)