[net.travel] New Orleans Info Wanted

duanem@tekfdi.UUCP (05/10/84)

<Laissez bon temps roulet - "Let the good times roll">

               NEW ORLEANS INFORMATION WANTED

    A friend and I are planning a trip to New Orleans in early
June.  I would appreciate any comments on what to do and see
while there.

    We plan on going to the World Exposition, so does anyone
know of any exhibits that might stand out?  We also are looking
for interesting restaurants, night spots, historic and scenic
attractions, etc.

                            Thanks,

                                    Duane Mitchell
                                    ...tekfdi!duanem

prem@eagle.UUCP (P.T.Devanbu) (07/12/84)

I will be in N.Orleans from Aug 10 to Aug 13 .. and would love to
hear about  your favourite places to stay at, to eat at, things to do
and see.... and so on.

{ihnp4, allegra}!btlunix!prem

norm@umcp-cs.UUCP (Norm Glick) (04/13/85)

My wife and I will be in New Orleans (one of Mark Twain's
"interesting" cities) for four days in early July.  I'd
appreciate information about sights, good restaurants,
interesting side trips, etc.

                          Norman Glick

jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) (04/19/85)

Can mainly suggest restaurants. (I always stay with friends!)

(The following are all in the French Quarter)

Breakfast:

	La Marquisa Pastry Shop on Dauphine St. -- Great French Pastry and
	great coffee.  They have another location on Ursuline.  There's also
	some other French pastry shop ON Jackson square, but the best is
	LM on Dauphine.

	Brennans on Bourbon St. -- Great drinks, great deserts, great
	Breakfasts.  But don't	go for dinner!  Ask for Cyril as your waiter.

Lunch &/or dinner:

	Galatoire's on Bourbon -- Old and famous.  Great food at reasonable
 	prices.  But don't wear jeans or sneakers and you need a tie in the
	evening -- They wouldn't let the Vice President in w/o one, and they
	didn't let Elton John in w/ blue jeans.  (They have ties at the door
	you can borrow!)

	Maspero's on Decatur St. -- Wonderful seafood for Cheap!

	K-Paul's -- Paul Prudhomme's (has cooked at the White House)
	restaurant on Dauphine (I believe...).  Outstanding food, but
	expensive and there will be a long line unless you're early.

	The Cookery -- Student of Paul P. opened this place with is as good
	and as expensive, but there is shorter line!

	Don't Forget the Cafe' Du Monde at anytime for Coffee and Beignets.

	The west end of the quarter (Canal St. side) is more touristy, the
	east side (towards West Estplanade) has a lot of uh... local color.

	Royal St. has many art shops, as well as some very interesting book
	shops.

(Out of the quarter)

	For lunch and a real experience, try Flamingo's on St. Charles.

	For breakfast, The Camelia Grill on St. Charles @ Carrollton (right
	by the River).  Very New Orlean's style.  Also, very cost effective.

	For an outstanding selection of imported beverages and eaty-things,
	check out Martin's Wine Cellar on Barronne.

Hope I've been helpful!

--

				    Joseph Arceneaux

				    Lafayette, LA
				    {akgua, ut-sally}!usl!jla

rajeev@sftri.UUCP (S.Rajeev) (04/19/85)

> My wife and I will be in New Orleans (one of Mark Twain's
> "interesting" cities) for four days in early July.  I'd
> appreciate information about sights, good restaurants,
> interesting side trips, etc.

I can give you some information about the French Quarter, which is probably
the most interesting part of the city.

Hotels: The Monteleone, right in the French Quarter, is a nice old hotel.
They also have a good jazz band in their rooftop cafe.

Sights: The Cathedral, a cruise on the SS Natchez, the old market
     (all these are within blocks of each other)
	Bourbon Street (raunchy and ribald and lots of fun)
	just walking around the old-world streets of the quarter

Food: Absolutely marvellous Cajun/Creole food. I ate gumbo with practically
	every meal. Shrimp creole, jambalaya, and a lot of things that
	were delicious, but whose names I dont remember.

	Court of the Two Sisters (buffet lunch - $15). This place has a
	live jazz quartet and a HUGE buffet. You can easily spend 2-3
	hours eating a leisurely lunch there, and you wont need dinner or
	even lunch the next day: you'll be so full. And the waiters there
	had such flair!

	K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen. Owned by a famous chef. Moderately
	expensive. Excellent, serious food.

	Little Pastry shops all around: beignets (local version of
	doughnuts) make a good snack.

Jazz: Though I'm not a jazz fan, I found the Preservation Hall Jazz Band
	remarkable: five or six masters of the art playing their hearts
	out in a tiny, crowded little room.

Pubs: O'Briens makes a potent (patented?) drink called the Hurricane,
	served in a Hurricane lamp-like glass. Deadly!

These are of course the impressions of a tourist who was there only for
two days. The natives will probably have much better suggestions. In
any case, take plenty of film: it's a very picturesque town.

Negative impressions: The Super(?)Dome is rather tacky. And to pay for it,
the city sales tax is 8.5%. Can be a bit of a shock.

The areas surrounding the city look rather bleak and oppressively poor.
Which makes the contrast with the rather prosperous-looking city obvious.
--
...ihnp4!attunix!rajeev   -- usenet
ihnp4!attunix!rajeev@BERKELEY   -- arpanet

jcjeff@ihlpg.UUCP (Richard Jeffreys) (04/20/85)

> 	Brennans on Bourbon St. -- Great drinks, great deserts, great
> 	Breakfasts.  But don't	go for dinner!  Ask for Cyril as your waiter.

Unless there are two Brennans, but I'm sure that there arn't, Brennans is in
Royal St. The Brennans I went to was at 417 Royal St. The hours are:

8:00am to 2:30pm; 6:00pm to 11:00pm.

For reservations call (504) 525-9711

I agree with the comments, but I don't think I met Cyril!

--
 [ Why pander life's complexities,
            when the leather runs smooth on the passenger seat - The Smiths ]

grl@charm.UUCP (George Lake) (04/22/85)

There are excellent restaurants in New Orleans, but Brennans is
not one of them.  If you don't order from their poor selection
of wines printed on the cover of the menu (ie you want to use
the wine list), your white wine will be served at room (not
cellar) temperature-- a clear indication that they are badly
stored.  Our food was served cold and was ill-prepared.

This restaurant seemed a perfect one for an instant coffee
commercial-- if you like it, it has nothing to do with what
the food tasted like.

jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) (04/23/85)

In article <408@sftri.UUCP> rajeev@sftri.UUCP (S.Rajeev) writes:

>	Court of the Two Sisters (buffet lunch - $15). This place has a
>	live jazz quartet and a HUGE buffet. You can easily spend 2-3
>	hours eating a leisurely lunch there, and you wont need dinner or
>	even lunch the next day: you'll be so full. And the waiters there
>	had such flair!

Afraid I can't entirely agree with this;   The Court has nice drinks and
a very pleasant atmosphere, but I would not reccomend them for food.

--
				    Joe Arceneaux

				    Lafayette, LA
				    {akgua, ut-sally}!usl!jla

"The one who grabs the bull by the tail is getting 60 to 70 times as
 much as information as the fellow who just watches"  --Mark Twain

jla@usl.UUCP (Joe Arceneaux) (04/23/85)

>> 	Brennans on Bourbon St. -- Great drinks, great deserts, great
>> 	Breakfasts.  But don't	go for dinner!  Ask for Cyril as your waiter.
>
>Unless there are two Brennans, but I'm sure that there arn't, Brennans is in
>Royal St. The Brennans I went to was at 417 Royal St. The hours are:

I stand corrected.  See, I *said* the drinks were great!

--

klein@ucbcad.UUCP (04/24/85)

> 	Brennans on Bourbon St. -- Great drinks, great deserts, great
> 	Breakfasts.  But don't	go for dinner!  Ask for Cyril as your waiter.

Boy have I heard some great things about this place!  Must be something.
Breakfasts are their specialty.
--

		-Mike Klein
		...!ucbvax!ucbmerlin:klein	(UUCP)