[comp.windows.x.motif] .mwmrc errors

mw@pluto.sybase.com (Michael Wertheim) (02/15/91)

I have a Decstation 3100 workstation, and I am trying to get mwm to run on it.
When I run the mwm that comes with the machine, mwm starts up, but it seems
that it does not read my .mwmrc file.  Here's the strange thing: when I run mwm
from a MIPS machine (over the network), the MIPS version of mwm has no problem
reading my .mwmrc file, and all of my buttons and menus behave as I expected.
When I run mwm from another Decstation or from a Sparcstation, they also have
the same problem reading .mwmrc.  No error message is printed, but the buttons
and menus do not get defined.  Only the MIPS mwm seems to work.

I have tested a number of combinations of x-servers and window managers, and I
am pretty sure that this has nothing to do with the version of x-server that I
am using.  The MIPS mwm is v1.1, but the Dec and Sun mwm are also both 1.1.

Has anyone encountered this problem before?

Mike Wertheim	"Reduce your friends into component sine waves!"
mw@sybase.com	...!{sun,pyramid,pacbell}!sybase!mw

mikey@eukanuba.wpd.sgi.com (Mike Yang) (02/16/91)

In article <12342@sybase.sybase.com> mw@pluto.sybase.com (Michael Wertheim) writes:
>I have a Decstation 3100 workstation, and I am trying to get mwm to run on it.
>When I run the mwm that comes with the machine, mwm starts up, but it seems
>that it does not read my .mwmrc file.  Here's the strange thing: when I run mwm
>from a MIPS machine (over the network), the MIPS version of mwm has no problem
>reading my .mwmrc file, and all of my buttons and menus behave as I expected.
>When I run mwm from another Decstation or from a Sparcstation, they also have
>the same problem reading .mwmrc.  No error message is printed, but the buttons
>and menus do not get defined.  Only the MIPS mwm seems to work.

Most likely your Mwm*buttonBindings and/or Mwm*keyBindings resources
are not getting set correctly.  These need to match whatever you use
in your .mwmrc file.

Remember that although running mwm on the MIPS machine and displaying
on your machine will use an xrdb-installed resource property, it will
still use the locally installed app-defaults file.

Therefore, if the MIPS app-defaults file for mwm differs from the ones
on the DEC and Sun machine, that could explain the differences in
behavior.

My suggestion is to explicitly set Mwm*buttonBindings and
Mwm*keyBindings in your .Xdefaults to correspond with your .mwmrc
contents.

                 Mike Yang        Silicon Graphics, Inc.
               mikey@sgi.com           415/335-1786

heiney@wsl.dec.com (Bob Heiney) (02/16/91)

The most likely reason is that you don't have the configFile resource set in
your ~/Mwm or ~/.Xdefaults file.  I've include mine, below:

# Configuration file
# contains definition of window and root menus and bindings
Mwm*configFile: /usr/users/heiney/.mwmrc