[comp.windows.x.motif] Restricting dialogs to the work region of a Main Window

tjhorton@vis.toronto.edu ("Timothy J. Horton") (02/17/91)

lfs@d62gpx1.mitre.org (Lyman F. Sheats) writes:
>I have a MainWindow with a work region.  Is it possible to restrict the
>movement of dialogs parented to the work region?  That is, is it possible to
>disallow movement of the dialog to areas outside of the work region?

No, you cannot strictly enforce this.  Dialogs are completely separate
toplevel X windows (not related in the X window heirarchy tree), and
are unrelated to the application main window except within your own
program.  What counts here is what the X server thinks, not what your
program thinks.  That's the underlying X model.

What you could do is manage/unmanage a widget, somewhat *like* a dialog,
within the space of the work region.  The tricky part would be controlling
the stacking order associated windows, but it can be done, down in Xlib.
Maybe somebody else has a better idea?

lfs@d62gpx1.mitre.org (Lyman F. Sheats) (02/17/91)

Would anyone know the answer to the following:

I have a MainWindow with a work region.  Is it possible to restrict the
movement of dialogs parented to the work region?  That is, is it possible to
disallow movement of the dialog to areas outside of the work region?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Lyman F. Sheats Jr. (email: lfs@mbunix.mitre.org)