[comp.windows.x.motif] Motif Shared Library Licensing

stripes@ENG.UMD.EDU ("Stripes ", or Josh, if you must) (02/11/91)

Kee Hinckley said:
[...]

>This has got to change.  OSF has got to get out of this vendor-oriented
>view of the world (ISVs don't provide shared libraries, vendors do).
>We're shipping with my own version of Motif now because neither 1.1 or
>1.1.1 fix all of the bugs or provide the functionality we need.  I don't
>anticipate this changing anytime in the next year - and I know we're
>not the only company in this situation.  We can't afford to charge
>extra for every copy of the program, and we can't afford the administration
>and liability costs of trying to determine which sites we ship to have
>a license and which don't.

If you ship your own copy of Motif, who are you going to share it with?  Or
do you have more then one product that uses the same fixed fersion of Motif?
If not then a shared lib will be no win over a shared lib (in fact a marginal
loss, PIC code is a tiny bit slower then position dependent code).

However it still is a long term problem, when Motif becomes bug-free enough
to run out of the box, shared libs will be a really big win...
--
           stripes@eng.umd.edu          "Security for Unix is like
      Josh_Osborne@Real_World,The          Multitasking for MS-DOS"

dow@PRESTO.IG.COM (Christopher Dow) (02/11/91)

	Here, Here!!!
	Is there anything we can do to facilitate this?
Chris Dow                             IntelliGenetics
Software Engineer                     700 East El Camino Real
icbmnet: 37 22' 39" N, 122 3' 32" W   Mountain View, Ca. 94040
dow@presto.ig.com                     (415) 962-7320

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (02/12/91)

In article <9102111346.AA17876@twiddle.eng.umd.edu> stripes@ENG.UMD.EDU ("Stripes ", or Josh, if you must) writes:

>Kee Hinckley said:
>[...]
>
>>This has got to change.  OSF has got to get out of this vendor-oriented
>>view of the world (ISVs don't provide shared libraries, vendors do).
>
>If you ship your own copy of Motif, who are you going to share it with?  Or
>do you have more then one product that uses the same fixed fersion of Motif?
>If not then a shared lib will be no win over a shared lib (in fact a marginal
>loss, PIC code is a tiny bit slower then position dependent code).

Well, my $0.02 worth:  We are supplying our (internal) customer with
our own Motif based applications, eXclaim, and Island WPD, Motif version.
Our own applications number in the dozens, so shared libraries are a must.
We're using three screens on a Sun SparcServer, the users will be running
the programs simultaneously.  It would be a big plus if eXclaim and Island
WPD used the shared libraries we've built for our own applications.

For one thing, it would ensure that the version of Motif that's being used
is the latest, greatest, and most bug free that there is, which is always
going to be suspect when it's statically linked to the application!
--
Kaleb Keithley                        kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

As of right now, I'm in charge here now...                  Alexander Haig.
Voodoo Economics, that's what it is, voodoo economics.      George Bush

anon@ZIP.EECS.UMICH.EDU (02/13/91)

When is this stone-age luddite attitude of OSF going to
change?  If Motif were the last step of a thousand mile
journey to GUI nirvana, there may be some justification
in overcharging and overbearing.  As it stands now, it
is just another run-of-the-mill mediocre and cumbersome
system.  The more hassle OSF gives developers, the less
those developers are willing to settle for the merchandise
they are getting for their money.

Furthermore, if anyone is concerned about what bug-ridden
shared library version of Motif their applications will
be running against, they always have the option of statically
linking with their own bug-ridden version of Motif.

Get real, OSF.

...anon...

anon@eecs.umich.edu

nazgul@alfalfa.com (Kee Hinckley) (02/13/91)

> Do you mean the same app run more then once (like 2 xterms each for 8 people),
> or some people running XFOO1.0 and a few more running XFOO1.2, and some
> running the beta of XFOO2.0?  In the first case everyone will share the memmory
> of the xterm code.
Does that work on most systems?  If so then I can at least use it to hold
off the customer requests, although in the long run that's not enough.

anon@ZIP.EECS.UMICH.EDU (02/13/91)

> > running the beta of XFOO2.0?  In the first case everyone will share the memmory
> > of the xterm code.
>Does that work on most systems?  If so then I can at least use it to hold
>off the customer requests, although in the long run that's not enough.

An option on  ld  can be used to make the text of an object file shareable
among processes.  From the ld manpage on Ultrix:

     -n             Arrange (by giving the output file a 0410
                    "magic number") that when the output file is
                    executed, the text portion is read-only and
                    shared among all users executing the file, an
                    NMAGIC file.  This involves moving the data
                    areas up to the first possible pagesize byte
                    boundary following the end of the text.

For programs not using shared libraries, this may help alleviate thrashing.

...anon...
anon@eecs.umich.edu

db@sunbim.be (Danny Backx) (02/18/91)

> > OSF has to release the licsensing restrictions on shared libraries.
>
> OSF *definitely* has to release the licsensing restrictions on shared
> libraries.  If anyone else on the net feels strong enough about Kee's
> motion, please second.
>
> -kam

I second. We run several commercial packages, all statically linked. This
really eats our memory...

	Danny Backx
	System Engineer, BIM Networks

E-Mail: db@sunbim.be    (or uunet!mcsun!ub4b!sunbim!db)

Telephone: +32(2)759.59.25	Fax : +32(2)759.47.95

Postal Mail :
	Danny Backx
	BIM
	Kwikstraat 4