[comp.windows.x.motif] Tab grouping behavior

sharonc@meaddata.com (Sharon Crichton) (02/22/91)

I have a "strange situation" - I'm not willing to call it a bug,
but it sure is weird. I have a form that contains a multi-line
text widget, 3 list widgets, and a row-column widget that contains
push buttons. I have set my tab groups using XmAddTabGroup so that
the traversal goes text -> list A -> list B -> 1st button in my
row-column -> text -> etc. That is working great. Now comes the
fun part. When I click mouse button 1 on any of the scrollbars on
my lists, the input focus changes like I'm tabbing. The list scrolls
and works fine, but you can watch the different widgets becoming
highlighted as you scroll!.

I'm not willing to call this a bug (yet), because other than the
input focus changing, the rest of the window is not affected. I need
to have those tab groups set up, so taking away the tab groups is
not a viable option. Anyone out there have any idea why this is
happening or any viable options for me to try out? I'm using Motif 1.1
under X11R4.

Thanks in advance!

Sharon Crichton                         CDS Systems Evolution
sharonc@meaddata.com                    Mead Data Central
sharonc%meaddata@uunet.uu.net           P.O. Box 933
                                        Dayton, OH 45401

Friend: "Don't you think you deserve to earn just as
         much as a man who does the same job?"
Marge: "Well, not if I have to do heavy lifting or math."

dvb@emisle.uucp (David Van Beveren) (02/23/91)

In article <2964@meaddata.meaddata.com> sharonc%meaddata@uunet.uu.net writes:
>I have a "strange situation" - I'm not willing to call it a bug,
>but it sure is weird. I have a form that contains a multi-line
>text widget, 3 list widgets, and a row-column widget that contains
>push buttons. I have set my tab groups using XmAddTabGroup so that
>the traversal goes text -> list A -> list B -> 1st button in my
>row-column -> text -> etc. That is working great. Now comes the
>fun part. When I click mouse button 1 on any of the scrollbars on
>my lists, the input focus changes like I'm tabbing. The list scrolls
>and works fine, but you can watch the different widgets becoming
>highlighted as you scroll!.

I have an application with the same problem. I thought that it must be
because I DIDN'T have any tab groups set up. (That I know of - it is a
huge application that I inherited 6 months ago)

Now I am really interested in why this happens. Also, It does not just
happen on scrollbars. Clicking in several different places in any
window with multiple focus-able widgets produces this bizarre effect.

Help is appreciated in advance.

--
David Van Beveren                           INTERNET: emisle!dvb@ism.isc.com
EIS ltd. Professional Software Services     UUCP:   ..uunet!emisle!dvb