[comp.windows.x.motif] Printing under MOTIF

nazgul@alfalfa.com (Kee Hinckley) (03/02/91)

> I am just getting started with MOTIF and have been unable to find
> any description about how you go about printing from within
> an application. Am I just missing this in the manuals or is
> there a lack of information on this subject? Any pointers
> would be greatly appreciated.

What!  You think this is a Mac or something?  :-)

Unfortunately there's no really standard way of printing graphics (or anything
else) under Unix, so you're pretty much on your own.

It would be a good subject for an RFT though.

Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere
617/646-7703 (voice/fax)        |       info@alfalfa.com

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.

raney@yertle.Colorado.EDU (Scott Raney) (03/02/91)

In article <910301125554.18437@alphalpha> nazgul@alfalfa.com (Kee Hinckley) writes:
>> I am just getting started with MOTIF and have been unable to find
>> any description about how you go about printing from within
>> an application. Am I just missing this in the manuals or is
>> there a lack of information on this subject? Any pointers
>> would be greatly appreciated.
>
>What!  You think this is a Mac or something?  :-)
Or GEM? Or MS-Windows ? Or NeXTStep?  Common imaging models (using
the same commands to draw to the screen and the printer) are actually
very common.

>Unfortunately there's no really standard way of printing graphics (or anything
>else) under Unix, so you're pretty much on your own.
>
>It would be a good subject for an RFT though.
Don't bother, I already did.  OSF's official position is that since
X doesn't support it, they don't have to either.  Most developers
write Postscript generators for output, a non-trivial task.  Complain
to your OEM.  Tell them you'll develop in a more productive enviroment
(any of the above mentioned systems) if they don't supply a more complete
environment (an IDT (Interactive Design Tool), hardcopy support, a GUI
based installation program, a usable resource manager, etc.)

Scott

Scott Raney                            No other person or organization
raney@gabor.colorado.edu               can be held responsible for my
(303)499-9855                                opinions or actions