[comp.windows.x.motif] What's tvtwm?

hecht@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Caroline Hecht) (03/04/91)

In article <HUGGINS.91Mar1142149@dino.ti.com> huggins@ticipa.csc.ti.com writes:
>Having just seen tvtwm, I would love to have the virtual desktop
>feature in mwm.  Is this available?  If not is it being considered?

What is tvtwm?  What is the virtual desktop feature?  Is it what it sounds
like, something along the lines of AIX desktop?

...Caroline Hecht

--
Caroline Hecht
Cornell National Supercomputer Facility

toml@marvin.Solbourne.COM (Tom LaStrange) (03/05/91)

> >Having just seen tvtwm, I would love to have the virtual desktop
> >feature in mwm.  Is this available?  If not is it being considered?
> >

> What is tvtwm?  What is the virtual desktop feature?  Is it what it sounds
> like, something along the lines of AIX desktop?

tvtwm is a modified version of twm that has the same virtual desktop
features of swm (Solbourne Window Manager).  Basically the virtual desktop
can be thought of as a large root window that you can then pan around in.
For a complete description of the virtual desktop you can read
"swm: An X Window Manager Shell" in the Summer 1990 USENIX proceedings.

tvtwm is available on expo.lcs.mit.ed in contrib/tvtwm.tar.Z

--
Tom LaStrange        toml@Solbourne.COM

toml@marvin.Solbourne.COM (Tom LaStrange) (03/05/91)

> tvtwm is available on expo.lcs.mit.ed in contrib/tvtwm.tar.Z

Ooops, make that expo.lcs.mit.edu.

--
Tom L.