[comp.windows.x.motif] building Motif on VMS, looking for pen-pals!

ables@wiffle.techbook.com (scott ables) (03/06/91)

I'm currently building Motif on VMS.  I've made modifications to imake to
almost generate mms files (atleast for the bare bones compilation work),
and have got the mrm and xm directories compiled (I also built xt) and am
currently fixing unresolved link errors in a helloworld app.  If anyone
wants to comiserate, collaberate, or better yet collate drop me a line at
ables@inttech.com. We talk to UUNET too, if you have to use a bang path.
Thanks, Scott Ables (FYI voice: 503-644-0111)

marbru@attc.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (03/09/91)

In article <TFJDy4w163w@wiffle.techbook.com> ables@wiffle.techbook.com (scott ables) writes:
>I'm currently building Motif on VMS.  I've made modifications to imake to
>almost generate mms files (atleast for the bare bones compilation work),

   And how do you get an R4 compliant Xt on VMS ?
   (assuming you take MIT source, how much you know about differences
    in NextEvent.c ?)
   And how do you deal with globaldef/globalref issue ?
   etc...

   Mhmm. DEC is selling a Motif Developer Kit for about $400. I don't know
   how much is your hour worth. But I did port Motif 1.0 and Xt to VMS
   myself in approx. 50 hrs. Buying from DEC comes then to about $8/hr
   if your are about as productive as I was (I guess you are better).
   In my opinion, do-it-yourself is just not worth it.

--
=*= Opinions presented here are solely of my own and not those of Auto-trol =*=
Martin Brunecky                           {...}sunpeaks!auto-trol!marbru