[comp.windows.x.motif] Is there a pushpin capability in Motif?

mking@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Marianne King) (03/14/91)

I am currently examining the capabilities of Motif and Openlook.
One nice feature in Openlook is the pushpin for menus and popup windows.
Is there any convenient way to simulate this feature in Motif?

Marianne E. King
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
mking@lll-crg.llnl.gov
(415) 423-4116 / (415) 422-3251

joey@cadence.com (Joe Jarosz) (03/15/91)

As far as I no there is no way to emulate a pushPin menu in Motif, no easy
way at least. My question to you is what do you find "nice" about this feature?
I work as a developer at a company that supports many, many platforms so I get
to use many different windowing systems and window managers. I have not found
a usefullness for "pushPin" menus when I use OpenLook based applications.

That's one person's opinion
joey@cadence.com

marbru@attc.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (03/15/91)

In article <1338@glinda.ctron.com> smith@glinda.ctron.com (Larry Smith) writes:
>>One nice feature in Openlook is the pushpin for menus and popup windows.
>>Is there any convenient way to simulate this feature in Motif?
>
>In a word - No.  The Motif style guide has nothing to say on the subject
>and the toolkit has no support for it.  At Cabletron we implemented
>the pushpins ourselves for Spectrum, but it was EXTREMELY nontrivial.

   May be your design. My design is almost trivial. The real issue is
   the Motif style compliancy. Another issue is an application, as
   I believe it needs to know whether a popup is "pinned down" or not.

   Yet another issue is who should do it. OL uses the window manager
   implementation - the application knows nothing about pushpins.
   In my opinion, making the WM do everything possible (remember
   proposals to put menu cascades into WM ?) is not right - let the
   toolkit people contribute -).

--
=*= Opinions presented here are solely of my own and not those of Auto-trol =*=
Martin Brunecky                           {...}sunpeaks!auto-trol!marbru