[comp.windows.x.motif] Why the "_popup" appendix in Dialog Boxes

martin@saturn.uucp (Martin J. Schedlbauer) (03/20/91)

Is there any way to get rid of the "_popup" that is appended to all
Dialog Box names in Motif. We are using Motif 1.1.1 and the dialogs are
created in UIL. The dialogs are fetched using MrmFetchWidget. The title
of the dialog is set as the argument to MrmFetchWidget.

Any ideas on how I can get rid of this nuisance?

	thanks,
	...Martin

Martin J. Schedlbauer	| martin@saturn.UUCP	| ...!ulowell!saturn!martin
8 Gilman Road		| mschedlb@ulowell.edu	| ...!uunet!wang!saturn!martin
Billerica, MA 01862 USA	| CIS: 76675, 3364	| /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

nazgul@alfalfa.com (Kee Hinckley) (03/21/91)

> Is there any way to get rid of the "_popup" that is appended to all
> Dialog Box names in Motif. We are using Motif 1.1.1 and the dialogs are
XmNdialogTitle (or use the XmNtitle and XmNtitleEncoding resources).

Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere
617/646-7703 (voice/fax)        |       info@alfalfa.com

everyone else's.

lynnes@ALEX.CSS.GOV (Christopher Lynnes) (03/21/91)

>Is there any way to get rid of the "_popup" that is appended to all
>Dialog Box names in Motif. We are using Motif 1.1.1 and the dialogs are
	You can use your own title by setting the XmNdialogTitle
resource, which is a compound_string.

Chris Lynnes

morten@modulex.dk (Morten Hastrup) (03/21/91)

martin@saturn.uucp (Martin J. Schedlbauer) writes:

>Is there any way to get rid of the "_popup" that is appended to all
>Dialog Box names in Motif. We are using Motif 1.1.1 and the dialogs are
>created in UIL. The dialogs are fetched using MrmFetchWidget. The title
>of the dialog is set as the argument to MrmFetchWidget.

>Any ideas on how I can get rid of this nuisance?

Yes. Set the resource XmNtitle. If you are creating an XmFileSelection-
Dialog, this wouldn't help :-) - Just another bug in Motif! Insted you
should create an XmDialogShell, giving this shell the title, and than
insert an XmFileSelectionBox into that.

Morten

Morten Hastrup		| Email:    morten@modulex.dk
A/S MODULEX		| Phone:    +45 44 53 30 11
Lyskaer 15		| Telefax:  +45 44 53 30 74
DK-2730 Herlev		|
Denmark			|

slh@wolf.cs.washington.edu (Scott Heyano) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar20.000731.397@saturn.uucp> martin@saturn.uucp (Martin J. Schedlbauer) writes:
|Is there any way to get rid of the "_popup" that is appended to all
|Dialog Box names in Motif. We are using Motif 1.1.1 and the dialogs are
|created in UIL. The dialogs are fetched using MrmFetchWidget. The title
|of the dialog is set as the argument to MrmFetchWidget.

	You can set the title with the XmNdialogTitle resource.

nazgul@alfalfa.com (Kee Hinckley) (03/23/91)

> much better.  I think I regard this new behaviour as a bug.

If you use the widget name for the title you have two problems.  One you
end up with two widgets with the same name (the bb and the dialog shell), so
you can't specify the resources separately.  Two you end up with a name
that's hard to specify in the resources file.  (Consider a dialog entitled:
"Poste - Quit Dialog" in a resource file.)  I think the use of the widget
name as the title was a cute hack, but not really proper.