[comp.windows.x.motif] XmDrawingArea and XmForm: hybrid widget sought

chavez@quorum.com (R. Martin Chavez) (03/29/91)

For complicated reasons to difficult to describe in detail, I need to be
able to render with DPS and Xlib into an XmForm widget.  I don't want to
obliterate the XmForm's children (buttons and labels), but I do need to
render graphics around them.

Nothing stops me from rendering into a form's X window, but the widget
isn't set up to give me access to expose callbacks.  I would really like
to have an XmDrawingArea as a child of the form, but I need to have the
other widgets (such as an XmPushButtonGadget) lie ON TOP of the
XmDrawingArea.  It seems to me that the Xm toolkit lays out the children
widgets so that they don't overlap.

Any recommendations?

Many thanks,
R. Martin Chavez
Quorum Software Systems, Inc.

aw@BAE.BELLCORE.COM (Andrew Wason) (03/29/91)

fernwood!quorum.com!chavez@decwrl.dec.com (R. Martin Chavez) writes:
> Nothing stops me from rendering into a form's X window, but the widget
> isn't set up to give me access to expose callbacks.

You could write an expose action and use translations:

  *XmForm.translations:  #override\
                         <Expose>:  HandleExpose()

Andrew

Andrew Wason                                       Bell Communications Research
aw@bae.bellcore.com                                Piscataway, NJ
bellcore!bae!aw