[comp.windows.x.motif] HCI tests and Open Look

david@lta.com (David B. Lewis) (04/03/91)

> ... just isn't as well thought out as Open Look.

I swore that I wouldn't get involved in this near-pointless Unix Today stuff,
but this comment has come up before, and I feel that this holier-than-thou
attitude is inappropriate, given the lack of documentation for the reaons
behind Open Look design decisions.  So far as I can judge from the fact that
there exist no user studies, "well thought out" means only "took a long time
from specification to toolkit".

ittai@shemesh.GBA.NYU.EDU (Ittai Hershman) (04/03/91)

In article <9104022240.AA07214@lta.com>, david@lta.com (David B. Lewis) writes:
> > ... just isn't as well thought out as Open Look.
>
> I swore that I wouldn't get involved in this near-pointless Unix Today stuff,
> but this comment has come up before, and I feel that this holier-than-thou
> attitude is inappropriate, given the lack of documentation for the reaons
> behind Open Look design decisions.  So far as I can judge from the fact that
> there exist no user studies, "well thought out" means only "took a long time
> from specification to toolkit".

Some guy from AT&T posted a note a while back stating that he had such
a study which "proved" that Open Look was better from an HCI point of
view than Motif.  I asked for a copy of the study and after a few mail
messages back and forth (over a month or so) it never materialized.

Incidentally, I suspect that a reasonable HCI case can be made for
either Motif or Open Look.  I happen to prefer Motif, but I would
not say that Open Look is poorly designed.

From my point of view, its really quite simple: in every battle there
is a winner and a loser.  Motif and Open Look were both valiant
soldiers thrust into battle with the best of intentions.  Motif won
and Open Look lost.  Motif learned a thing or two from the battle and
it will incorporate that experience into itself (e.g. tear-off menus
a.k.a. pushpins).  There are more important battles too be fought;
the time has come to move on.

-Ittai