[comp.windows.x.motif] Scrolled List Problem

niebres@mct-1.UUCP (Caroline Niebres) (04/03/91)

I  have a list widget which does not grow horizontally to match the length of
the longest item.  The list will grow to allow a 13 character item but will
clip any longer items.  When the number of items in the list exceeds the
number visible, the vertical scroll bar clips the list items even further.

The following is the widget organization:

XmMainWindow

    XmMenuBar

        XmCascadeButton

            XmPulldownMenu

                XmPushButton

                XmPushButton

        XmCascadeButton

    XmBulletinBoard

        XmScrolledWindow

            XmList

        XmPushButton

The above widget structure was specified using the UIL.

I have tried specifying XmNheight and XmNwidth arguments for the Bulletin
Board and Main Window widgets to no avail.  When I replaced the Main Window
widget with a Bulletin Board, the list works (but when I replaced the Main
Window with a Form widget the list exhibits the same behavior as it did
using the Main Window).

Why can't I (or how can I) use the Main Window widget in this scenario.

I am using X11R3, motif 1.0, Interactive Unix 2.02.

                                    Dan Thurk

                                    Micro Component Technology

                                    uunet!mct-1.com!thurk

                                    (612) 482-5356

nazgul@alfalfa.com (Information Junkie) (04/03/91)

> I  have a list widget which does not grow horizontally to match the length of
> the longest item.  The list will grow to allow a 13 character item but will
> clip any longer items.  When the number of items in the list exceeds the
> number visible, the vertical scroll bar clips the list items even further.

I also have a case where I see this under 1.1.  In this case I have the
scrollbars turned on always.  Adding new items works to expand the horizontal
scrollbar, however items that I add before managing the list don't seem to.
I think in the first case I use the resources to set the list, and in the
second I make a call.

Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere
617/646-7703 (voice/fax)        |       info@alfalfa.com

everyone else's.

rob@knopfler.leis.bellcore.com (Rob Herrera) (04/03/91)

In article <910402233448.908@sun>, nazgul@alfalfa.com (Information Junkie) writes:

|> > I  have a list widget which does not grow horizontally to match the length of
|> > the longest item.  The list will grow to allow a 13 character item but will
|> > clip any longer items.  When the number of items in the list exceeds the
|> > number visible, the vertical scroll bar clips the list items even further.
|>
|> I also have a case where I see this under 1.1.  In this case I have the
|> scrollbars turned on always.  Adding new items works to expand the horizontal
|> scrollbar, however items that I add before managing the list don't seem to.
|> I think in the first case I use the resources to set the list, and in the
|> second I make a call.

In addition to these problems, the scrolled list widget (1.1) does not take
resizing requests kindly. I was happily using it within a Form widget, and
it stopped resizing vertically when I compiled it in 1.1.

I had to change it into a non-scrolled list widget, which seems to work well
with the attachments. By the way, I did set scrollBarDisplayPolicy to STATIC
and visibleItemCount to 20.

Changing the plethora of resources related to the list did not help. Maybe
changing the ones for the scrolling window may make a difference.

Still bogus tho...

Rob Herrera
rob@knopfler.leis.bellcore.com