[comp.windows.x.motif] Visual Edge Software Ltd.

kiron@concour.cs.concordia.ca (The Doctor) (04/03/91)

Seems like an appropriate newsgroup for this question...

does anyone have any information about Visual Edge (ie. size, product
lines, org. structure, sales, competitors)...anything at all would be
a help...  doing some research for a possible job application, and getting
nowhere via regular channels...

Kiron

--

 Kiron D. Bondale       Concordia University, Mtl., Quebec, Canada
   "Can't. CAN'T.  There's no such word as Can't." ... The Doctor

kiron@concour.cs.concordia.ca (The Doctor) (04/05/91)

Well, thanks a mill. to all who replied so promptly to my request...
yes indeed, they do produce UIM/X and enjoy a virtual monopoloy...
the product is supported on numerous architectures, and further
expansions are planned...

Thanks again to all who replied...

Kiron

--

marshall@corsicana.Berkeley.EDU (jay marshall 283-5903) (04/05/91)

--
in 916@antares.Concordia.CA Kiron D. Bondale writes:

>does anyone have any information about Visual Edge (ie. size, product
>lines, org. structure, sales, competitors)...anything at all would be
>a help...  doing some research for a possible job application, and getting
>nowhere via regular channels...

  The only product I know of from Visual Edge is UIMX, a User Interface
Management System.  I have heard that they have several OEM agreements
with UIMX as the basis.  I think that these include AT&T's Open Look
Express, HP's Interface Architect, and something for SGI (I don't know
the name).

  The information that I have on UIMX is a year old (it came from
a session at Xhibition '90), but here it is:

  Mike Footee (I'm sure that the spelling is wrong - that's phonetic) was
the presenter, and my notes say that the tool can use either Motif or
Open Look (full compliments of both - not subsets).  It has a built in
C interpreter, and allows development with both layout and behavior
addressed.  This includes initial states, callback definitions, and
window events.  They also provide style guide prototypes.

  I hope that I have not misrepresented their product in any way.  Like
I said, these are from year-old notes taken in haste.  Please correct
me on any errors.

  It sounds like they have a solid product, if they're getting that
much OEM attention.  I would be interested if anyone on the net has
heard of additional OEM tools based on UIMX, and if anyone has had
experience with any of these tools.

Jay

Jay Marshall                          | The end of the human race will be that
marshall@sweetpea.jsc.nasa.gov        | it will eventually die of civilization.
                                      |                   Ralph Waldo Emerson
(standard disclaimer)