[comp.windows.x.motif] strange behavior in scrolled list widget

dbjoyner@eos.ncsu.edu (David Joyner) (04/05/91)

I am having problems with a list widget created by XmCreateScolledList.
When a list item is highlighted it is surrounded by a heavy dashed line,
instead of the normal shadow frame.  I have looked through the resources
for the list widget, and I can't find any that deal with this behavior.

Anyone have any ideas?

+===========================================================================+
| David B. Joyner (dbjoyner@eos.ncsu.edu) | North Carolina State University |
| "In an effort to calm things down in Los Angeles, Police Chief Gates has  |
| asked for a mandatory seven-day waiting period on all sales of video      |
| cameras."      - Jay Leno                                                 |
+===========================================================================+

nazgul@alfalfa.com (Information Junkie) (04/05/91)

> I am having problems with a list widget created by XmCreateScolledList.
> When a list item is highlighted it is surrounded by a heavy dashed line,
> instead of the normal shadow frame.  I have looked through the resources
> for the list widget, and I can't find any that deal with this behavior.
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

I believe that means you have MULTIPLE_SELECTION set or some such.
There are different indicators depending on the current mode, so the
user can tell what's expected of them.

Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere
617/646-7703 (voice/fax)        |       info@alfalfa.com

everyone else's.

meeks@osf.org (W. Scott Meeks) (04/05/91)

>Date: 4 Apr 91 23:32:25 GMT
>From: taco!eos.ncsu.edu!dbjoyner@mcnc.org  (David Joyner)
>
>I am having problems with a list widget created by XmCreateScolledList.
>When a list item is highlighted it is surrounded by a heavy dashed line,
>instead of the normal shadow frame.  I have looked through the resources
>for the list widget, and I can't find any that deal with this behavior.

See pg. 1-603 of the 1.1 Programmer's Guide.  Basically, List has two
keyboard selection modes.  In Normal Mode, navigation operations and
KSelect select the item at the cursor and deselect any other selected
items.  In Add Mode, navigation has no effect and KSelect toggles the
selection state of the item of the cursor without deselecting any other
item.  Single and Multiple Select policies use Add Mode, Browse Select uses
Normal and Extended can be switched by pressing KAddMode.

W. Scott Meeks
Open Software Foundation
meeks@osf.org
(617) 621-7229

martin@saturn.uucp (Martin J. Schedlbauer) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr4.233225.1139@ncsu.edu> dbjoyner@eos.ncsu.edu (David Joyner) writes:
>I am having problems with a list widget created by XmCreateScolledList.
>When a list item is highlighted it is surrounded by a heavy dashed line,
>instead of the normal shadow frame.  I have looked through the resources
>for the list widget, and I can't find any that deal with this behavior.

You must be running on a black-and-white screen. The dashed frame is the
default for BW screens. I'm not sure how to change it though.

	...Martin

Martin J. Schedlbauer	| martin@saturn.UUCP	| ...!ulowell!saturn!martin
8 Gilman Road		| mschedlb@ulowell.edu	| ...!uunet!wang!saturn!martin
Billerica, MA 01862 USA	| CIS: 76675, 3364	| Voice/Fax: (508) 670-2169

bobm@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Bob May) (04/10/91)

>>I am having problems with a list widget created by XmCreateScolledList.
>>When a list item is highlighted it is surrounded by a heavy dashed line,
>>instead of the normal shadow frame.  I have looked through the resources
>>for the list widget, and I can't find any that deal with this behavior
>>

>You must be running on a black-and-white screen. The dashed frame is the
>default for BW screens. I'm not sure how to change it though.
>
>	...Martin

    I believe you're seeing the add-mode location cursor, which is the
    default for the single and multiple select selection policies. The
    solid cursor is the default for the browse and extended select
    policies. Check out the behavior part of the man page for more
    details.

    Bob May
    Hewlett-Packard
    Interface Technology Operation