[comp.windows.x.motif] A couple of menu questions

jorgi@cs.uow.edu.au (George B Zamroz) (04/09/91)

I have couple of questions regarding menus under Motif and the Motif Window
Manager:

1) I have an application which uses a menubar widget. I want to use mnemonics
for the menus themselves (the CascadeButtons) and the menu items (PushButtons
and ToggleButtons). Using the Xt Intrinsics I can set the XmNmemonic resource
to the mnemonic I want and everything works fine, but trying the same thing
from under UIL, the mnemonics are totally ignored. I turned on the listing
options for the UIL compiler, and the mnemonics are in the output. What gives?

2) I want to stop my application from being close via the window menu. I
configured a new menu to get rid of the Close option, and that works fine. I
then wanted to stop people being able to double-click on the window menu button
to kill the program. The manual says to set wMenuButtonClick2 to False. This
works for all of the windows, but can I do it for just one application e.g.
    *application*wMenuButtonClick2: False
I have tried this and it is simply ignored. Whereas
    mwm*wMenuButtonClick2: False
will disable feature on all windows.
--
George B. Zamroz, University of Wollongong, Australia
Masters Student (Computer Science)

dbrooks@osf.org (David Brooks) (04/09/91)

jorgi@cs.uow.edu.au (George B Zamroz) writes:
|> ...under UIL, the mnemonics are totally ignored.

I presume you are using a release based on 1.0.A.  UIL mnemonics were
broken in 1.0.A, and fixed by the 1.0.3 patch release.

|> 2) I want to stop my application from being close via the window menu...
|> The manual says to set wMenuButtonClick2 to False. This
|> works for all of the windows, but can I do it for just one application...

Use Mwm*<client>*clientFunctions: -close

--
David Brooks				dbrooks@osf.org
Systems Engineering, OSF		uunet!osf.org!dbrooks

nazgul@alfalfa.com (Information Junkie) (04/11/91)

> |> 2) I want to stop my application from being close via the window menu...
> |> The manual says to set wMenuButtonClick2 to False. This
> |> works for all of the windows, but can I do it for just one application...
>
> Use Mwm*<client>*clientFunctions: -close
Right.  But wrong of course.  An application should never turn off the Close
item.  It should catch the event and do something reasonable instead.

Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere
617/646-7703 (voice/fax)        |       info@alfalfa.com

everyone else's.