[net.travel] American Express or Diners Club ?

sarmas@topaz.ARPA (Sarmas) (04/29/85)

    The question as to what of these cards should one prefer (American
Express or Diners Club) may seem ridiculous but I am seriously concerned.
I want such a card in order to be able to travel around the world. I know
that many people will recommend instantly Amex but I have noticed in Europe
that Diners is much respected.Also Diners offers a "reserved hotel room"
service (Amex offers it for gold cards only).
    Can anybody list some service facts?, tell about experience or any
pitfalls?.

                                      Thanks in advance

                                        sarmas@topaz (Rutgers Univ.)

bhs@siemens.UUCP (04/30/85)

I believe that Amex is the only company to maintain offices around the
world in major cities. These are very useful, they are staffed by english
speaking personnel for travel arrangements, and as an added bonus, let
you cash your american personal checks (up to $400 a month or so) against
hard cash/traveler's checks. Also, if you lose Amex trvelers checks or
card, theirs is known to be the best and fastest customer service, travel
mags and business mags occasionally will stage comparison tests, losing
checks and cards in foreign cities during holiday weekends. Amex has in the
past consistently come out on top.

B. H. Schwab
Siemens RTL, Pricneton, NJ

ben@moncol.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (04/30/85)

>    The question as to what of these cards should one prefer (American
>Express or Diners Club) may seem ridiculous but I am seriously concerned.
>I want such a card in order to be able to travel around the world. I know
>that many people will recommend instantly Amex but I have noticed in Europe
>that Diners is much respected.Also Diners offers a "reserved hotel room"
>service (Amex offers it for gold cards only).
>    Can anybody list some service facts?, tell about experience or any
>pitfalls?.

First of all, the American Express assured reservation plan is
available to all cardmembers, not just to those with gold cards.
In fact, the only real difference between a green card and a gold one
is that a major bank has agreed to provide a personal line of credit
for gold cardmembers, so they can get cash and/or travelers checks on
the spot.  Second, the American Express card is very widely excepted
in Europe (at least in Italy, France, England, Belgium and Holland),
and I have travelled extensively in these countries with only the AMEX
card and some travelers checks.  American express also provides a
wealth of other services, even discount subscriptions on MCI called
Expressphone.  (No more MCI flames, please)  I, for one, have been
very pleased with their service (Amex, not MCI).

Since I don't have a Diners Club, I am not as familiar with its
worldwide acceptance, however, I cannot recall ever seeing an
establishment that takes Diners Club, but not American Express;
I have seen many that take Amex but not Diners.  I have seen places
that take Master Card/Visa but not Amex, claiming that Amex charges
too high a percentage.

My advice would be to carry Amex for most of your charges, a bank card
for those shops that don't take Amex, and some travelers checks for
those that don't take any cards at all.

                     Ben Broder
                     ihnp4!princeton!moncol!ben

stadlin@hou2h.UUCP (Art Stadlin) (05/01/85)

> American express also provides a
> wealth of other services, even discount subscriptions on MCI called
> Expressphone.  (No more MCI flames, please)  I, for one, have been
> very pleased with their service (Amex, not MCI).

	I'm surprised MCI did not team-up with MasterCard International!
                                               ^     ^    ^
--
  \\\
   \\\\                                  Art Stadlin

carl@bdaemon.UUCP (carl) (05/03/85)

> >    The question as to what of these cards should one prefer (American
> >Express or Diners Club) may seem ridiculous but I am seriously concerned.

Master Card served us well in Fiji and Western Samoa five years ago.  Only
a few times did we have to use AMEX and regardless of the card the exchange
rate was better with the cards than at banks, hotels etc., with travellers
checks (also AMEX!).  We were told that this happens because the card
companies honor the exchange rate existing on the day the card is used
while the travellers checks must clear (in Australia about two weeks later)
before the merchant will know how much they are worth.  The uncertainty is
enough to warrant a lower rate (Exception: The state run bank in Suva, Fiji
had by far the best rates, service etc.).

CAUTION:  Always keep your copy of the card transaction.  After returning
from Cozumel two years ago we got a monster bill from VISA.  The people at
one of the large US car rental agencies had torn up the originals and
handwritten new ones for three times what we had signed for.  Once VISA got
photo-copies of our copies, the money was quickly refunded.

Carl Brandauer

mickey@cca.UUCP (Mickey Levine) (05/05/85)

I can only speak of my recent trip, but the preffered card in Europe
seemed to be VISA followed by AMEX. One GREAT thing I can say about
using AMEX is that the exchange rate is usually the bank rate on the
2day of exchange. While in France, the exchange rate was moving around
9.10 - 9.40 FF/Dollar. My latest bill had the exchange rate at
9.46 and 9.48 FF/Dollar. Since I made some sizeable (>$100) purchases,
this really paid off.

					Mickey Levine
					decvax!cca!mickey

greenber@timeinc.UUCP (Ross Greenberg) (05/06/85)

<>

What was indicated about the foreign exchange rate on credit cards
versus travelers checks may vary from card to card:

Recently I got nailed with a higher than expected bill from American
Express from my last European sojourn.  I put hotels and rented cars and
airlie tickets on the card.

American Express fixes the exchange rate for all (except airlines) not
on day of purchase, but rather on day of merchant deposit.  So, when the
dollar was falling from a high of 141 drachmas, my friendly merchant
held onto the AMEX receipt until it had fallen to 128, then deposited it.
I got stuck with a higher bill. Same thing happened in France and in Isreal.

Airlines, according to AMEX, fix their own rates!!

Better check before you spend...

Ross M. Greenberg  @ Time Inc, New York
              --------->ihnp4!cmcl2!timeinc!greenber<---------

"If ever the pleasure of one has to be bought by the pain of the other,
 there better be no trade. A trade by which one gains and the other
 loses is a fraud."         --- Dagny Taggert

srm@nsc.UUCP (Richard Mateosian) (05/09/85)

In article <163@timeinc.UUCP> greenber@timeinc.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) writes:

>Recently I got nailed with a higher than expected bill from American
>Express from my last European sojourn.
>
>American Express fixes the exchange rate for all (except airlines) not
>on day of purchase, but rather on day of merchant deposit.  So, when the
>dollar was falling from a high of 141 drachmas, my friendly merchant
>held onto the AMEX receipt until it had fallen to 128, then deposited it.

If your credit slip is in drachmas, then your friendly merchant can't
benefit by manipulating the posting date.  The merchant getshe fixed
number of drachmas specified.

When we were in London last Christmas, we benefitted from the drop in the
pound that occurred after we le, because merchants were slow in posting
our charges.
--
Richard Mateosian
{allegra,cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!srm    nsc!srm@decwrl.ARPA

greenber@timeinc.UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) (05/11/85)

Regarding the idea of whether a merchant in another country *must* take
payment in that currency or may take payment in dollars US:

It depends on the country, according to American Express. So if a merchant
wants to, they may exchange their 19452 ding-dongs into dollars or
ding-dongs as per their desire.

Greece happens to be a country where *certain* merchants have this
option.

Ross M. Greenberg  @ Time Inc, New York
              --------->{ihnp4 | vax135}!timeinc!greenber<---------

	Timeinc probably wouldn't acknowledge my existance, and has
	opinions of its own.  I highly doubt that they would make me
	their spokesperson.
------