[comp.windows.x.motif] Compiling Motif on Sun

frans@origin.nl (04/19/91)

Hello,

We are currently planning to start working with Motif on Sun workstations.
Can anybody tell us whether there are major problems to expect when
trying to install the Motif sources from OSF on Sun Workstations ?

Thanks in advance,

Francois Staes
Origin/Technology Support
Eindhoven, The Netherlands

PS: I know there exist a fair number of binary implementations of Motif for
    Suns, but I would prefer a source license since we are planning to use
    also other kinds of hardware....
Email : frans@origin.nl

haynes@felix.ucsc.edu (99700000) (04/22/91)

In article <1399@phcisa.UUCP> frans@origin.nl () writes:
>We are currently planning to start working with Motif on Sun workstations.
>Can anybody tell us whether there are major problems to expect when
>trying to install the Motif sources from OSF on Sun Workstations ?
I asked approximately the same question a few weeks ago and got no replies,
so went ahead and did it with no apparent problems. (Motif 1.1.1)

wwang@osf.org ("Weidong Wang from OSF") (04/22/91)

  >  Hello,
  >
  >  We are currently planning to start working with Motif on Sun workstations.
  >  Can anybody tell us whether there are major problems to expect when
  >  trying to install the Motif sources from OSF on Sun Workstations ?

I replied to someone several days about the same question, but I did not send
to the whole group. This time I guess I should cc to the group.

I assume you are installing Motif 1.1and you have X11R4 installed on your system.

Follow the steps below:

1. load the tape.

2. patch X11R4. On 1.1 tape, there are 14 mit official patches and one OSF fix
called fix-osf. If you also have 1.1.1 tape, there are another 4 mit patches and
one fix-osf-1.1.1.

If you have all 18 mit fixes, apply them first, then apply fix-osf-1.1.1, throw
away fix-osf. If you only have 14 mit patches, try first to get the other 4. If
you can't, apply 14 patches, then osf-fix. If later you get fix-15 through fix-18,
back out fix-osf first before applying 15 to 18.

After applying the patches, rebuild and reinstall X11R4.

3. Go to the top of Motif tree and enter "make World". This will start the building
process.

Depending where you put Motif source, you may get error message and build aborts
because of extension lib.

In this case, fix sun.cf and Motif.tmpl accroding to thefollowing:
                        SUN LIBRARIES

To use the pre-installed libraries on a Sun platform, make the
following changes to the file config/sun.cf:

a.  Change the SYSLIBS line and add MWM_DEFINES, so that line 7:

        SYSLIBS=$(MTOOLKITSRC)/libXt.a $(XLIBSRC)/libX11.a

    is replaced by the following two lines:

        SYSLIBS=-lXt -lX11
        MWM_DEFINES=-DSHAPE -DOPAQUE

b.  Append these lines to config/Motif.tmpl before executing "make
    Makefiles":

#if NeedDefaultDepLibs
/*
 */
#if HasSunOSSharedLibraries
          DEPLIBS = /* */
#else
          DEPLIBS = $(LOCAL_LIBRARIES)
#endif
         DEPLIBS1 = $(DEPLIBS)
         DEPLIBS2 = $(DEPLIBS)
         DEPLIBS3 = $(DEPLIBS)
#endif /* NeedDefaultDepLibs */

And go back to the top and enter make World. When it finishes, enter make install
to install it.

4. If you are running SunOS 4.0.3, the build process may stop in some
demo directories
because of limits.h could not be found.

Two ways to fix it: 1). create an empty /usr/include/limits.h; 2). comment out the
lines that include it. Motif does not actually ned it.

5. By now, you should be able to get it going.Good Luck.

Weidong Wang
Systems Engineering, OSF

masa@hpsciz.sc.hp.com (Masayoshi Habu) (04/23/91)

In comp.windows.x.motif, frans@origin.nl writes:

    We are currently planning to start working with Motif on Sun workstations.
    Can anybody tell us whether there are major problems to expect when
    trying to install the Motif sources from OSF on Sun Workstations ?

It was fairly easy to build Motif 1.1 libraries, window manager, clients on
a SPARC. I used SunOS 4.1.1. with OpenWindows 2.0. Because Motif 1.1 needs
X11R4 Toolkit, you also need to have X11R4 header files and libraries.
Although Sun's OpenWindows 2.0 Server is based on X11R4, Xlib and Xt header
files as well as libraries coming from Sun with OpenWindows 2.0 are X11R3.

Good Luck !

Masa