[comp.windows.x.motif] De-sensitizing item in List widget

saint@stonyman.hac.com (Kathy Saint) (04/24/91)

I'm looking for a way to "de-sensitize" an item in a List widget.
I want the item to be greyed and unselectable.  Any suggestions would
be greatly appreciated.  Oh, by the way, we're running X11R4 with motif 1.0.

Thanks in advance,
Kathy

Kathy Saint             ||  "She's a witch!! She's a witch!!."
"I'm not dead yet."     ||  "How can you tell she's a witch?"

jfr@locus.com (Jon Rosen) (04/25/91)

In article <14510@hacgate.UUCP> saint@stonyman.hac.com (Kathy Saint) writes:
>I'm looking for a way to "de-sensitize" an item in a List widget.
>I want the item to be greyed and unselectable.  Any suggestions would
>be greatly appreciated.  Oh, by the way, we're running X11R4 with motif 1.0.

I think you are SOL on this one, Kath.  We are facing the same problem
and neither Motif 1.0 or 1.1 appear to handle this, even tho 1.1 has
added a whole bunch of new XmList routines.  I am considering building
a routine to create a "greyed" font and then use some routines we are
building to support various highlightings in a list as a mechanism to
do this, altho we will not (to the best of my knowledge) be able to
restrict selection of a "greyed font" item until after the user has
clicked on it (then we can reject the selection).  I would prefer
real support for greyed items in a list where you are unable to even
click on one of the greyed items...

OSF, are you listening???

Jon Rosen
"Another birthday?  Well, don't worry about getting old
 until you can't make sense out of the simplest things...
 ... isn't it?" -- from my favorite 40th birthday card