[comp.windows.x.motif] Motif mnemonics

jorgi@cs.uow.edu.au (George B Zamroz) (04/16/91)

Last week I wrote asking about a problem I had regarding the use of mnemonics
under UIL. I have since found out that the mnemonics are indeed there (i.e.
they work) but simply don't appear (the appropriate character in the label is
not underlined). Any ideas?
--
George B. Zamroz, University of Wollongong, Australia
Masters Student (Computer Science)

steve@mnetor.UUCP (Steve Rees) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr16.060456.4476@cs.uow.edu.au> jorgi@cs.uow.edu.au (George B Zamroz) writes:
>...the mnemonics are indeed there (i.e. they work) but simply don't appear...

Does the case (i.e. upper or lower) of the mnemonic you specify match the
case of the letter you wish underlined?  I.e., for 'Open', the mnemonic should
be 'O' for underlining to work, even though pressing 'o' actually triggers
the selection.

Good luck.
--
    Steve Rees
{uunet|utzoo}!mnetor!steve or (better) steve%mnetor.uucp@uunet.uu.net

vrenjak@rm1.UUCP (Milan Vrenjak) (04/26/91)

In article <1991Apr16.060456.4476@cs.uow.edu.au>, jorgi@cs.uow.edu.au (George B Zamroz) writes:
|> Last week I wrote asking about a problem I had regarding the use of mnemonics
|> under UIL. I have since found out that the mnemonics are indeed there (i.e.
|> they work) but simply don't appear (the appropriate character in the label is
|> not underlined). Any ideas?

I found that I couldn't specify the ascii character  but rather
the character's decimal value. For example,

        XmNlabelString = 'Open';
	XmNmnemonic = 79;

and this worked fine to give O as the mnemonic for Open.

--
Milan

cm@jet.uucp (colin manning) (04/30/91)

In <1043@rm1.UUCP> vrenjak@rm1.UUCP (Milan Vrenjak) writes:
>In article <1991Apr16.060456.4476@cs.uow.edu.au>, jorgi@cs.uow.edu.au (George B Zamroz) writes:
>|> Last week I wrote asking about a problem I had regarding the use of mnemonics
>|> under UIL. I have since found out that the mnemonics are indeed there (i.e.
>|> they work) but simply don't appear (the appropriate character in the label is
>|> not underlined). Any ideas?
>
>I found that I couldn't specify the ascii character  but rather
>the character's decimal value. For example,
>
>        XmNlabelString = 'Open';
>	XmNmnemonic = 79;
>
>and this worked fine to give O as the mnemonic for Open.

I have found that mnemonics for Motif defined in uil work fine. I have things like:
            XmCascadeButton {
                arguments {
                    XmNlabelString = "File";
                    XmNmnemonic = keysym("F");
                };
		.
		.
		.
            };

I get the F underlined correctly, and can pull down the menu with Alt-F.
I think that perhaps you should be using the keysym() function, not quoting the
key number directly.

Hope this helps.
--
- Colin Manning, cm%jet.uucp@ukc.ac.uk (world) OR cm@jet.uucp (UK only)
- Disclaimer: Please note that the above is a personal view and should not