[comp.windows.x.motif] Trying to change tho options on the root menu

yusuf@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu (Yusuf Pisan) (05/05/91)

I would like to change the root menu that pops up in X-windows.
I am running RS/6000 under AIX 3.1.
I start up the X-windows by typing xinit at the top level.

Where is the table for the root menu ?
----> I found it in /usr/lib/X11/system.mwmrc

Where are the functions such as circle_down, refresh  defined ????

What other functions are available ?

Will I have to recompile some functions if I want to change the menu ????

Thanks to all who care to answer.

					Yusuf Pisan

yusuf@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu

jorgi@cs.uow.edu.au (George B Zamroz) (05/07/91)

yusuf@aristotle.ils.nwu.edu (Yusuf Pisan) writes:

>I would like to change the root menu that pops up in X-windows.
>I am running RS/6000 under AIX 3.1.
>I start up the X-windows by typing xinit at the top level.

>Where is the table for the root menu ?
>----> I found it in /usr/lib/X11/system.mwmrc

>Where are the functions such as circle_down, refresh  defined ????

>What other functions are available ?

>Will I have to recompile some functions if I want to change the menu ????

It is best the change your own copy of the mwmrc file. Simply copy it into
your home directory and call it .mwmrc. If you can get hold of the mwm
documentation, then you should find all the details. Unfortunately, the manual
isn't the best laid out. I find myself searching through the whole thing in
order to find some things. No recompiling is necessary, just restart mwm,
either by exitting X and starting again, or by using the Restart... option
on the root menu. By the way, you can also change the window menus by creating
your own and assigning them to an application within the .Xdefaults file. I
set up a menu without a close option. This stops people killing off the
application when they aren't allowed.

Hope this helps.
--
George B. Zamroz, University of Wollongong, Australia
Masters Student (Computer Science)