[comp.windows.x.motif] Does this sound familiar?

nazgul@alfalfa.com (Information Junkie) (05/09/91)

On occasion, using Mwm1.1 on a SunIPC, after I deiconize my window my
menus all pulldown about a quarter inch below the menubar.  They work
fine, their just about a quarter inch off.  It looks like the distance
might be the same as the width of the top window border.  This doesn't
happen under olwm, and I've never seen it (on other machines) with
Mwm1.0.  It goes away eventually, I haven't quite figured out when.  It's
happened to me twice since I compiled Mwm1.1 last week.

Any ideas?

Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere
617/646-7703 (voice/fax)        |       info@alfalfa.com

everyone else's.

scholz@osf.org (Carl S. Scholz) (05/09/91)

nazgul@alfalfa.com (Information Junkie) wrote:
> On occasion, using Mwm1.1 on a SunIPC, after I deiconize my window my
> menus all pulldown about a quarter inch below the menubar.  They work
> fine, their just about a quarter inch off.  It looks like the distance
> might be the same as the width of the top window border.  This doesn't
> happen under olwm, and I've never seen it (on other machines) with
> Mwm1.0.  It goes away eventually, I haven't quite figured out when.  It's
> happened to me twice since I compiled Mwm1.1 last week.

> Any ideas?

This is a known bug - PIR 2846.  It appears to be a bug in RowColumn and the
conditions necessary for it to occur are the client wants to place it's menu
at (0,0).  Then, when the menu is first posted after iconify/normalize, the
popup/pulldown is incorrectly positioned.  Any configureNotify event will
correct the situation - trying moving the client first or after the
misplacement - it corrects itself.  Or I suppose, don't place it at 0,0
(though I haven't tried that exactly).  This is not mwm specific, a very
similar (though, different wrong offset) problem occurs with other WMs like
twm. Using mwm with clientAutoPlace: false will show the problem pretty easily.

Thanks,
Carl
Carl S. Scholz - Motif QA           Open Software Foundation
scholz@osf.osf.org                  Cambridge, MA   (617) 621-8996
Disclaimer: just me yapping, not my employer