[comp.windows.x.motif] Text & resizeWidth

alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) (04/30/91)

I have built a motif text widget which is to resize itself as necessary
as text is entered. I cannot seem to find a combination of resources to
cause this to occur. I have also tried both Text and ScrolledText widgets
without result.

Do the resize attributes work, and if so, could someone send the magic
set of XtSetArg's which can make this happen.

Thanks.

-----------------------------
Alan Epstein
Meta Software Corp                   UUCP:  ...bbn!metasoft!alan
150 Cambridgepark Dr        Internet/ARPA:  alan%metasoft@bbn.com
Cambridge, MA 02140  USA
-----------------------------

nazgul@alfalfa.com (Information Junkie) (05/01/91)

> I have built a motif text widget which is to resize itself as necessary
> as text is entered. I cannot seem to find a combination of resources to
> cause this to occur. I have also tried both Text and ScrolledText widgets
> without result.

This is usually a problem with the parent of the text widget rather than
the widget itself.  What parent are you using?

Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere
617/646-7703 (voice/fax)        |       info@alfalfa.com

everyone else's.

roger@zuken.co.jp (Roger Meunier) (05/02/91)

In article <2136@metasoft.UUCP> alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) writes:

 > Do the resize attributes work, and if so, could someone send the magic
 > set of XtSetArg's which can make this happen.

I have had success setting the resizeWidth resource to "true" in my
resource file (I have not tried setting it from the application).

There may be some constraining factors which you did not include in your
post.  What is the parent widget?  If it is a Frame, it needs to be
wide enough to allow the Text widget to grow.  Have you set the columns
resource of the Text widget to accomodate long strings?  What other
resources have you set for the Text widget, its parent, and the Shell
widget?  There may be some combination which is inhibiting the resize.

Hope this helps.
--
Roger Meunier @ Zuken, Inc.  Yokohama, Japan	(roger@zuken.co.jp)

berlage@gmdzi.gmd.de (Thomas Berlage) (05/02/91)

In article <2136@metasoft.UUCP>, alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) writes:

> I have built a motif text widget which is to resize itself as necessary
> as text is entered. I cannot seem to find a combination of resources to
> cause this to occur. I have also tried both Text and ScrolledText widgets
> without result.
Whether resizing is allowed is controlled by all manager widgets in the
hierarchy. First of all you have to set XmNallowShellResize of the toplevel
shell to True. Other manager widgets may have similar resources.

Thomas Berlage (berlage@gmdzi.gmd.de), GMD, Germany

alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) (05/08/91)

> > Do the resize attributes work, and if so, could someone send the magic
> > set of XtSetArg's which can make this happen.

As it turns out, widget writers, it is the PARENT'S responsiblity to
change the child's geometry during a resize request. It is not
sufficient to merely return XtGeometryYes.

Thanks all for the help.

-----------------------------

nazgul@alfalfa.com (Information Junkie) (05/11/91)

> > > Do the resize attributes work, and if so, could someone send the magic
> > > set of XtSetArg's which can make this happen.
>
> As it turns out, widget writers, it is the PARENT'S responsiblity to
> change the child's geometry during a resize request. It is not
> sufficient to merely return XtGeometryYes.

If the parent is doing the resize it should return Done.  If it isn't
it should return Yes.  If that doesn't work then something is wrong.

alan@metasoft.UUCP (05/14/91)

   > As it turns out, widget writers, it is the PARENT'S responsiblity to
   > change the child's geometry during a resize request. It is not
   > sufficient to merely return XtGeometryYes.

   If the parent is doing the resize it should return Done.  If it isn't
   it should return Yes.  If that doesn't work then something is wrong.

Well, reading the code for Xt/Geometry.c, it appears that returning
Done would not cause XConfigureWindow to be executed. I believe that
Yes makes the most sense here, with the parents geometry_manager making
the actual change to the child's core part.

Thanks again for your pointers.

nazgul@alfalfa.com (Information Junkie) (05/15/91)

> Well, reading the code for Xt/Geometry.c, it appears that returning
> Done would not cause XConfigureWindow to be executed. I believe that

Right, nor should it.  You return Done if you already called XtResizeWidget
(or the equivalent) - in which case XConfigureWindow has already been called.