[comp.windows.x.motif] Menus, ToggleButtons and VisibleWhenOff resource

rharmon@srg.uucp (05/14/91)

Is there any way to override the toggle button resource XmNvisibleWhenOff
when the button is a child of a row column menu?

This is forced to False in this case.

The style guide says it should be this way but nobody here happens to like
that no button appears.

There is just blank space where it would be.

rharmon@srg.UUCP              |
Bob Harmon @ Arinc Research   |
Riva Rd, Annapolis            | Disclaimer:
301-266-4964                  | Any opinions expresed are mine (or Don's)

syj@ecmwf.co.uk (Jean-Philippe Martin) (05/14/91)

In article <1991May13.192036.23825@srg.uucp>, rharmon@srg.uucp writes:
> Is there any way to override the toggle button resource XmNvisibleWhenOff
> when the button is a child of a row column menu?
>
> This is forced to False in this case.
>
> The style guide says it should be this way but nobody here happens to like
> that no button appears.
>
> There is just blank space where it would be.

I agree with you. Nobody likes it in our organization either.
Please forward any relevant response !!!

Jean-Philippe Martin-Flatin                        | Internet : syj@ecmwf.co.uk
European Center for Medium Range Weather Forecasts |
Reading RG2 9AX                                    |
England                                            |

rharmon@srg.uucp (05/15/91)

The way to get set this resource on a ToggleButtonGadget inside a
pulldown menu is set the resource AFTER it is created.  Apparently
that is the only time Motif checks it.

mhn@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Mark Notess) (05/16/91)

> Is there any way to override the toggle button resource XmNvisibleWhenOff
> when the button is a child of a row column menu?

Yes--use Motif 1.1.

> This is forced to False in this case.

In 1.1, it only defaults to False.

> The style guide says it should be this way but nobody here happens to like
> that no button appears.

I don't like it either--it is particularly bad for check boxes since, if
they are all off initially, the user has no clue how it works (and the
menu disappears before the feedback shows up).

Mark
   **     Mark Notess   *   mhn%hpfcla@hplabs.HP.COM   *   (303) 229-6232   **
   ** Hewlett-Packard * 3404 E. Harmony Road * Fort Collins, CO  80525  USA **

Disclaimer:  I don't speak for HP...