[comp.windows.x.motif] Motif Application Generators

kory@avatar.com (Kory Hamzeh) (04/23/91)

We are about to start writing several very large applications using X11R4
with Motif on Sun Sparstations.

I would like is to hear from people which have experience with
interactive application generator for Motif. These are programs
which generate C code and/or resource files.

I would also like to hear about your personal opinion about application
generators.

Thanks,
--kory

Kory Hamzeh             UUCP: avatar!kory or ..!uunet!avatar!kory
                    INTERNET: kory@avatar.com

yrjola@hkkk.fi (Matti Yrjola) (04/29/91)

In <1991Apr23.051543.431@avatar.com> kory@avatar.com (Kory Hamzeh) writes:

>We are about to start writing several very large applications using X11R4
>with Motif on Sun Sparstations.

We are building a (student) information system on HP hardware (HP9000s,
HP3000s) using Motif and X-terminals.

>I would like is to hear from people which have experience with
>interactive application generator for Motif. These are programs
>which generate C code and/or resource files.

We use Interface Architect from HP, which is an interactive Motif-interface
"generator". IA uses Motif widgets and gadgets as objects from which to build
the user interface.

IA has two modes: design and test. In DESIGN mode
the developer paints widgets on screen and they appear just like they
will under Motif. Created widgets can be modified interactively by clicking
and dragging (size and position) and through popup-menus (resources and
properties). In TEST mode (toggle a button) the widgets come alive very
nicely. IA has a C-interpreter so that program code can be loaded in while
running IA. User code can be added to the interface initialization code and
to callbacks. In test mode you can ACTUALLY test the application.

Interface Architect uses a convenience library to access Motif and the
code generated contains calls to functions in the Architect library.
In order to generate code that does not rely on this library the code must
be run trough MotifGen utility program.

My experiences with IA have been mainly good. The program seems to be
robust and easy to use. Most of the problems I have had, have been due to
my limited experience with X-windows and Motif (about 5 months). I just
don't know what each resource or property does.
There are some things that you can't test inside Architect, for example
children of convenience dialogs are created dynamically by the Motif
toolkit and Architect has no way of managing them directly. The children
must be accessed with Motif "get child" convenience functions.

Object orientation seems to pay off - we got the first version of our
application running in two months with no previous Motif or X Windows
eXperience.

IA generated progams that use it's convenience library are quite big,
around 1 MB or so, but I haven't had time to test the MotifGen utility yet.

I hope I got most of this correct, all errors are mine.

>I would also like to hear about your personal opinion about application
>generators.

I think that application generators are well suited for developing user
interfaces in windowing environments. Most of the application generators that
I have seen force the programmer to implement the vision that the developer
of that particular application generator had. So far I haven`t had that
feeling with the IA :-).

Anybody else using IA out there? I would like to know.

--
----------------------------------------------------- I did it  M   M  Y   Y
 Matti Yrjola, Helsinki School of Economics, Computer Center !  MM MM   Y Y

danr@bcsfse.boeing.com (Dan Richardson) (05/14/91)

It has been my experience that MotifGen does a pretty good job. There are some
minor snags, but over all, it does a very good job.

achan@sparkle.tdd.sj.nec.com (Amy Chan) (05/15/91)

In article <673@bcsfse.boeing.com> danr@bcsfse.boeing.com (Dan Richardson) writes:
>It has been my experience that MotifGen does a pretty good job. There are some
>minor snags, but over all, it does a very good job.

Where can I obtain 'MotifGen'?
Thanks.

Amy Chan
NEC America, Inc.
achan@tdd.sj.nec.com
--
Amy Chan                 | E-Mail:
NEC America              |  INET: achan@tdd.sj.nec.com

tay@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Mike Taylor) (05/17/91)

> Where can I obtain 'MotifGen'?

MotifGen is a component of HP Interface Architect.  Architect is HP's
version of UIMX which is developed by Visual Edge in Montreal Canada.
A problem for some developers is that the code that is generated by
UIMX is heavily dependent on a UIMX library.  HP has added a tool
called MotifGen which eliminates this dependency.

Peace,

Mike Taylor
Current Products Engineering & Online
Interface Technology Operation

Surface:  Hewlett-Packard                 Internet:  tay@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com
	  1000 NE Circle Boulevard        UUCP:      {hpfcla}!hpcvlx!tay
	  Corvallis, Oregon 97330         Fax:       (503) 750-4980

    "I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal!"
                                                   - Zaphod Beeblebrox