[comp.windows.x.motif] Summary: Delete key deletes character after the cursor

krs0@gte.com (Rod Stephens) (05/17/91)

In article <11173@bunny.GTE.COM> I wrote:

> Since I upgraded to Motif 1.1.1, the delete key deletes the
> character AFTER the cursor instead of the character before
> the cursor. This happens in Motif text widgets in
> applications I write. Other applications (xterm, emacs,
> etc.) handle it normally.

Thanks for the following quick replies! I used the 3rd one
-- it was easy and seems to have worked for every
application. This may annoy people who actually like the
delete key to delete forward.

From: "Timothy J. Horton" <tjhorton@cs.toronto.edu>

Translate <Key>DeleteChar to whatever the default translation of backspace
is.  Look in the programmer's reference for that (I don't have it at hand).

(In case you don't know how to do this, you can do it in your defaults file.
Say your application was called APP, your text widget was called TW, and
the default translation for backspace is BACKSPACE(), put the following in an
appropriate resource file:

    APP*TW.translations: #replace \n <Key>DeleteChar : BACKSPACE()

I think that the action for backspace is delete_prev_char or some such.)

From: tsang@isi.com (Kam C. Tsang)

It's a "feature" in Motif..  The Delete key deletes forward and the
Backspace key backwards, *unlike* xterm, emacs, etc.

To "fix" it, you can create a file called .motifbind in your home
directory.  See the followoing clip:

! see /tools/motif.1.1/bindings/sun_mit

! Date: Tue, 6 Nov 90 00:57:44 PST
! From: 05-Nov-1990 1323 <treggiari@rtl.enet.dec.com>
! To: motif@alphalpha.com
! Subject: Re: Motif 1.1 Text widget
! > Second problem. On a DecStation 3100 the delete key (the one above the
! > return key) deletes to the right in Motif 1.1. In 1.0 it deleted to the
! > left (the way it ought to). I tried changing the keysym with xmodmap, but
! > that made the delete key produce ^H in xterm. It works in Motif text widgets
! > tho. Hmmm. Any suggestions?
!
! I think you'll get the text bindings you want if you take the
! /bindings/dec file from your Motif kit, and copy it to .motifbind
! in your home directory.
!
! MWM will then load those as your virtual bindings.
!
! Leo
!

Hope it helps.

-kam
     ----------------------------+-----------------------------
                      Kam Tsang  |  User Interface Group
           (408) 980-1590 x 275  |  Integrated Systems, Inc.
           (408) 980-0400 [Fax]  |  3620 Jay Street
                  tsang@isi.com  |  Santa Clara, CA  94054
     ----------------------------+-----------------------------

From: Renato Iannella <ren@kowande.sics.bu.oz.au>

When you installed the update, it must have copied the osf supplied
XKeysymDB file to /usr/local/lib/X11 which (by default) maps BackSpace
to "forward-delete".

Change "osfBackSpace" in /usr/local/lib/X11/XKeysymDB to be ":1004FFFF"

Cheers

Renato Iannella
Information & Computing Sciences      Internet: ren@surf.bu.oz.au
Bond University, AUSTRALIA, 4229      COMPMAIL: r.iannella
ACN: 010 694 121                      Phone: +61 75 953381 Fax: 953333

Thanks again to all!