[comp.windows.x.motif] window group

loo@mprgate.mpr.ca (Richard Loo) (05/15/91)

Hi,

My application requires that a collection of windows be handled as a group.
For instance, the group of windows can be iconified or restored altogether with
one action.  The window_group component of the XWMHints structure seems to be
perfect for my purpose.  However Motif 1.1 doesn't seem to provide this level
of window management.

I've dug around and found that tvtwm does look at the window_group component
and map/unmap icons accordingly.  I was wondering why Motif doesn't do it.

Well then, are there any plans to provide window group management in Motif?
If so, when will this be available?  And if not, and if I really need it, what
can I do to simulate this kind of behavior until Motif comes up with it.

Thanks in advance.

Richard Loo.

ppluzhni@vivaldi.helios.nd.edu (paul pluzhnikov) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May14.204051.19823@mprgate.mpr.ca> loo@mprgate.mpr.ca (Richard Loo) writes:
>Hi,
>
>My application requires that a collection of windows be handled as a group.
>For instance, the group of windows can be iconified or restored altogether with
>one action.  The window_group component of the XWMHints structure seems to be

One way would be to make all windows in collection 'child DialogShells' to some
TopLevel 'root' window of your application (from which they are all invoked?).

However, I don't know how it measures against 'style gide'.

Paul