[comp.windows.x.motif] Question on GUI's

pangborn@zen.cac.stratus.com (05/10/91)

     I am working on a project team that will be replacing our direct
     connect async terminals with workstations. One of my tasks is to
     recommend the Window Manager to be implemented across the network.
     We operate in a customer support organization where the level of
     technical expertise varies from engineers who support various products
     to the code level, down to a technical dispatch group.
     There is very little Unix expertise within this organization and we
     want to have a workstation up and running on everyone's desk within
     two to three months.
     I currently have a Sun SLC running Open Windows as a loaner and am
     interested in hearing from users of Open Windows, X-Windows (TWM), and
     Motif window managers. I should be able to obtain a copy of Motif and
     other departments within our company seem to be leaning towards Motif.
     At this point I do not know enough about these environments to make
     a recommendation, yet. I would appreciate any recommendations or
     suggestions that you may have.

     Thank You,
     Tom Pangborn

  Tom Pangborn
  Stratus Computer Inc.
  Marlboro, Ma

  Tel: 508-460-2640
  Email: pangborn@cac.stratus.com

tay@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Mike Taylor) (05/13/91)

I'm not sure if it meets with your requirements, but if you intend
to research this issue thoroughly you should talk to an HP sales rep
to arrange a VUE demo.  HP VUE (Visual User Environment) comes with
the HP-UX.  One of the components of VUE is vuewm which is HP's enhanced
version of mwm.

There is an active port of VUE to SUN underway by SAIC and should be
complete in the next few weeks.  Negotiations for additional multivendor
support are currently under way as well.

Vuewm has my vote for the superior with the support of multiple workspaces
alone.

Peace,

Mike Taylor
Current Products Engineering & Online
Interface Technology Operation

Surface:  Hewlett-Packard                 Internet:  tay@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com
	  1000 NE Circle Boulevard        UUCP:      {hpfcla}!hpcvlx!tay
	  Corvallis, Oregon 97330         Fax:       (503) 750-4980

    "I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal!"
                                                   - Zaphod Beeblebrox

brett@visix.com (Brett Bourbin) (05/16/91)

In article <110630045@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com>, tay@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Mike Taylor) writes:
|> I'm not sure if it meets with your requirements, but if you intend
|> to research this issue thoroughly you should talk to an HP sales rep
|> to arrange a VUE demo.  HP VUE (Visual User Environment) comes with
|> the HP-UX.  One of the components of VUE is vuewm which is HP's enhanced
|> version of mwm.

Or you could look at one of the many PD window managers available for X
Window System.  They can be found on the expo site in the contrib area
along with being on the X11R4 MIT tape.

These window managers, mostly, do not suffer from the vuewm-type of
problems, i.e., steal all system resources and require heaps of memory.

|> There is an active port of VUE to SUN underway by SAIC and should be
|> complete in the next few weeks.  Negotiations for additional multivendor
|> support are currently under way as well.

I guess that is good news?  8^)

|> Vuewm has my vote for the superior with the support of multiple workspaces
|> alone.

Funny, how hardware vendors love their own software that requires the end-
user to purchase for hardware (i.e. memory) from said vendor.  8^)

[note the simley at the end]

--
                                __
  Brett Bourbin          \  / /(_  /\/   11440 Commerce Park Drive

tay@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Mike Taylor) (05/17/91)

> There is an active port of VUE to SUN underway by SAIC and should be
> complete in the next few weeks.  Negotiations for additional multivendor
> support are currently under way as well.

I have been informed that SAIC will have a beta version available next
week, but the product will not ship until the July/August timeframe.

Peace,

Mike Taylor
Current Products Engineering & Online
Interface Technology Operation

Surface:  Hewlett-Packard                 Internet:  tay@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com
	  1000 NE Circle Boulevard        UUCP:      {hpfcla}!hpcvlx!tay
	  Corvallis, Oregon 97330         Fax:       (503) 750-4980

    "I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal!"
                                                   - Zaphod Beeblebrox

tay@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Mike Taylor) (05/17/91)

> |> Vuewm has my vote for the superior with the support of multiple workspaces
> |> alone.
>
> Funny, how hardware vendors love their own software that requires the end-
> user to purchase for hardware (i.e. memory) from said vendor.  8^)

Biases admitted; but the functionality of having mutiple workspaces
really helps me organize my work better.  The Style Manager (vuestyle)
is also very nice.  It helps you to configure color combinations, fonts,
backdrops, and other system user interface customizing.  The VUE Front
Panel has icons for starting my email, a terminal emulator, and lock
my display.  VUE also allows you to log out and log right back in with
the same processes executing when you logged out (yes, log right back in
to X with n of your favorite processes running).  The login is
graphically-based too.  I have just started configuring VUE Actions which
are represented with icons (custom if you like) which are configured to
process certain file types and execute processes I have defined.  The
on-line help system isn't too bad either, depending on the text.  There
are also icons on the front panel for file icons you manipulate with
the file manager, but I still use my hpterm for my primary mode of file
system traversal.

Yes, VUE is somewhat of a memory pig.  But my system is a 16Meg 400t
cluster node and VUE performance is very adequate for my needs.  VUE
performance on a 32Meg 720 is instant as far as I could tell.

Pax,