[comp.windows.x.motif] Editors that run under X or Motif

kobetitsch@picker.picker.com (harry kobetitsch) (05/15/91)

I would like to know if there are any editors out there that
run under X or Motif.
--
Harry Kobetitsch (216)-473-2624
Picker International, Inc.

pax@megasys.com (Garry M. Paxinos) (05/15/91)

harry kobetitsch writes:
 > I would like to know if there are any editors out there that
 > run under X or Motif.

Buzzwords International Inc. has an editor called 'Professional Edit' that
runs under X/Motif for various platforms.  They are in Cape Girardeau,
Missouri, telephone +1-314-334-6317.

Pax.

E-Mail:pax@megasys.com    pax@ankh.ftl.fl.us    gmp@pinet.aip.org
USNail:Megasystems, Inc.    2055 South Congress Ave,  Delray Beach,  FL  33445
UUCP  :{gatech!uflorida!novavax!ankh,   mthvax,  shark,   attmail}!megasys!pax
Voice :407-243-2405   Data: 407-243-2407  Fax: 407-243-2408   Telex: 156281499
          "This is America, Right?!?!?"  member of 2 Live Crew

tay@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Mike Taylor) (05/17/91)

> I would like to know if there are any editors out there that
> run under X or Motif.

I prefer vi myself.  8-)

Peace,

Mike Taylor
Current Products Engineering & Online
Interface Technology Operation

Surface:  Hewlett-Packard                 Internet:  tay@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com
	  1000 NE Circle Boulevard        UUCP:      {hpfcla}!hpcvlx!tay
	  Corvallis, Oregon 97330         Fax:       (503) 750-4980

    "I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal!"
                                                   - Zaphod Beeblebrox

david@lta.lta.com (05/18/91)

> > I would like to know if there are any editors out there that
> > run under X or Motif.
> I prefer vi myself.  8-)

Ditto, but for real answers check the latest (5/4/91) FAQ in comp.windows.x,
which discusses X-based word-processors and editors. Of the X-based text
editors, probably xedit, emacs, and epoch are the most accessible:

        You can ftp the latest version of emacs, including X11 support, from
prep.ai.mit.edu [18.71.0.38].  The file you probably want is
~ftp/pub/gnu/emacs-18.55.tar.Z, or similarly-named files.

        Epoch is a modified version of Gnu Emacs with additional facilities
useful in an X environment. Current sources are on cs.uiuc.edu (128.174.252.1)
in ~ftp/pub/epoch-files/epoch; the current [2/91] version is 3.2. [In Europe,
try unido.informatik.uni-dortmund.de].  There are two subdirectories:  epoch
contains the epoch source, and gwm contains the source to the programmable
window manager GWM, with which epoch works well. You can get on the Epoch
mailing list by sending a request to epoch-request@cs.uiuc.edu.

        The Andrew system on the X11R4 tape has been described as one of the
best word-processing packages available. It supports word processing with
multi-media embedded objects: rasters, tables/spread sheets, drawings, style
editor, application builder, embedded programming language, &c.
[Fred Hansen (wjh+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU)]

[commercial products mentioned in the FAQ omitted]

(sorry to post; don't know who originally asked the question)

--
David B. Lewis  			Lewis, Trachtenberg & Associates (LTA)
Note new address!:  david@lta.com	+1 617 225 0366

"Conversational time-sharing was invented as a way of keeping people seated
while waiting for better response time instead of milling about the ready room
waiting for spooled printer output." - PJ Plaugher in 11/87 Computer Language

pd@x.co.uk (Paul Davey) (05/20/91)

> I would like to know if there are any editors out there that
> run under X or Motif.

Mike> I prefer vi myself.  8-)

If you do prefer vi you could buy our X.deskterm and SoftOption
package and have cursor placement by point and click, pulldown menus,
dialog boxes to choose files, selectable ranges et cetera, all under
X, and using a *standard* vi binary.

For more information on X.deskterm/SoftOption call Noel Poore at IXI.

--
 Regards,			 pd@x.co.uk          IXI Limited
	Paul Davey		 pd@ixi.uucp         62-74 Burleigh St.