[comp.windows.x.motif] How do you underline text in a label widget?

ph@concurrent.co.uk (Paul Hamilton) (05/22/91)

If you have a string of text in a label widget, it there a way of getting
it underlined? Figure 20 (A typical set of check buttons) in the Motif
style guide shows an example of underlined text, but I can't seem to
find any mention of how to do it in the Motif documentation.

Any help would be useful.

Cheers
   Paul

+++
              ___________    |   DOMAIN:     ph@concurrent.co.uk
	     / _________/_   |   UUCP  :     ...!uunet!ukc!concurrent!ph
            /_/________/ /   |   Snail : 227 Bath Road
   Concurrent/__________/    |               Slough SL1 4AX, England
 Computer Corporation	     |   Tel   : +44 753 513408
			     |	 Fax   : +44 753 71661

meeks@osf.org (W. Scott Meeks) (05/23/91)

Motif doesn't provide any support for underlined text other than
underlining the mnemonic in a pushbutton.  Probably the easiest way to get
underlined text would be use an underlined font.  I believe that that was
how the illustration was done.  However, I would recommend against using
underlining for most cases if possible and use a real font change (bold,
italic, size or typeface) instead.  Underlining is mostly
just a kludge held over from the days of the typewriter.  Real press
operators never used underlining.

W. Scott Meeks
Open Software Foundation
meeks@osf.org
(617) 621-7229

achan@sparkle.tdd.sj.nec.com (Amy Chan) (05/24/91)

In article <1024@sl10c.concurrent.co.uk> ph@concurrent.co.uk (Paul Hamilton) writes:
>If you have a string of text in a label widget, it there a way of getting
>it underlined? Figure 20 (A typical set of check buttons) in the Motif
>style guide shows an example of underlined text, but I can't seem to
>find any mention of how to do it in the Motif documentation.

What about using a XmDrawingArea or XmDrawnButton widget and call
XmStringDrawUnderline() to underline a string?

Hope this helps.

--- Amy Chan

--
Amy Chan                 | E-Mail: