[comp.windows.x.motif] Interviews ? Motif? Both? Neither?

mark@hermesa.uucp (Mark McWiggins) (06/06/91)

My company is looking at Unix user interface tools, being in the process
of moving toward Unix from VMS.

I've used Motif 1.0 and it worked fairly well, but I'd be interested in
evaluating Interviews.  In particular:

(1) The Motif widget inheritance mechanism seems to be a "fatal flaw",
especially for somebody who uses C++.  Since Interviews is based on C++,
its inheritance mechanism should be smoother (presumably more-or-less
straight C++).  Is this true?

(2) The Motif interface builders on the market so far all seem to be
multi-thousand-$ things (the last time I looked; correct me if I'm
wrong).  Does Interviews come bundled with something like this?

(3) If we used Interviews for development, our applications would
probably have to run in a Motif environment (or Motif applications in
an Interviews environment).  How much of a problem is this?

(4) Is there an anonymous uucp server someplace where I could download
Interviews?  I don't have ftp access right now. :-(

Thanks in advance for any insight.  I'd be especially interested in
hearing from anyone who's used both Motif and Interviews to develop
Real Applications.
--
Mark McWiggins
...uw-beaver!amc-gw!hermesa!mark (until it's in the maps)

dealy@kong.gsfc.nasa.gov (Brian Dealy - CSC) (06/06/91)

--
(Mark McWiggins) writes:

>My company is looking at Unix user interface tools, being in the process
>of moving toward Unix from VMS.
>
>I've used Motif 1.0 and it worked fairly well, but I'd be interested in
>evaluating Interviews.  In particular:

>(1) The Motif widget inheritance mechanism seems to be a "fatal flaw",
>especially for somebody who uses C++.  Since Interviews is based on C++,
>its inheritance mechanism should be smoother (presumably more-or-less
>straight C++).  Is this true?
>
>(2) The Motif interface builders on the market so far all seem to be
>multi-thousand-$ things (the last time I looked; correct me if I'm
>wrong).  Does Interviews come bundled with something like this?
>
>(3) If we used Interviews for development, our applications would
>probably have to run in a Motif environment (or Motif applications in
>an Interviews environment).  How much of a problem is this?
>
>(4) Is there an anonymous uucp server someplace where I could download
>Interviews?  I don't have ftp access right now. :-(
>
>Thanks in advance for any insight.  I'd be especially interested in
>hearing from anyone who's used both Motif and Interviews to develop
>Real Applications.

I tried and failed to email to you but this may be of general interest
anyway...

You should look at TAE Plus from NASA. It is a motif GUI builder
which integrates interviews (idraw) and is inexpensive. The current
version is motif 1.1 compatible and interviews 2.6 compatible.

It has been around for a couple years and I have used it for a couple
years and feel it is an undervalued product compared to the commercial
products, 750.00  for a SITE license, (as many computers as you want
on your site for one price - no royalties and they give you source code
(mostly C++). There is a free support line at goddard space flight ctr
and it is handled by 3 nice people who are very helpful. There are
about 700+ users of this tool now and our company uses it on about
2 dozen projects at various sites around the country...

you can reach the tae folks for more info at goddard at 301-286-6034
                                                     or 301-286-7877

it's a nice WYSIWYG tool for prototyping motif apps and generates
c, ADA and a couple other things, also it will generate C++ in the near future. there is a C++ class built around the Window already
which provides a nice interface to C++....

It's not that this tool will do everyting you want necessarilly,
but it provides a fast and easy entry into prototyping interfaces
especially for people who have little X experience and need to
do a fast port or development.

Brian Dealy
301-572-8267
Computer Sciences Corp
Brian Dealy                  |          | It not knowing where it's at
dealy@kong.gsfc.nasa.gov     |          | that's important,
!uunet!dftsrv!kong!dealy     |          | it's knowing where it's not at...