[comp.windows.x.motif] FileSelectionDialog of Motif 1.1

wes@kofax.uucp (Wes Chalfant) (06/07/91)

In article <3424@unccvax.uncc.edu> cs00wsc@unccvax.uncc.edu (Wen-Shiang Chin) writes:
>Hi,
>	I have a program using a FileSelectionDialog widget.
>It works fine on version 1.0. Recently, I try to compile it
>with a version 1.1 and it seems does not work as it was on
>1.0. When I run the program, the dialog window has two list
>sub-widget; one is for listing all sub-directories and one is
>for listing all files(according to the reference manual).
>But what I got on this two windows are all empty. ...

	You didn't say what vendor's OS you are using, but I ran into
a very similar problem when porting a program from SCO's ODT (Motif
1.0) to Dell's System V Release 4 (Motif 1.1).

	In order to build a program that uses XmFileSelectionDialog
under Dell SVR4, you have to search a UCB compatibility library to get
some regular expression parsing routines that are used by the
XmFileSelectionDialog widget.  On Dell SVR4 this library is in
/usr/ucblib/libucb.a (or something like that, anyway).  However, there
are also some directory related routines in the UCB compatibility
library (e.g. opendir(), readdir(), ...)  that don't work with Motif 1.1.

	The way to make this all work is to explicitly search the
standard C library for the correct directory routines before searching
the ucb library, i.e:

	cc -o foo <...> -lXm <other-X-libs> -lc /usr/ucblib/libucb.a