[comp.windows.x.motif] VMS SYSGEN parameter WINDOW_SYSTEM ?

brent@uwovax.uwo.ca (Brent Sterner) (06/11/91)

   Could some kind soul please explain the significance of the VMS sysgen parameter
WINDOW_SYSTEM?  I'm running VMS 5.4.  SYSGEN says it is dynamic.  TFM says it "loads"
the appropriate window system (implies boot time to me), and mentions VAX workstations
specifically.  My VAX is a 6430.  WINDOW_SYSTEM is currently set to 0, which is not
documented.  Please enlighten me.  Thanks,   b.
--
Brent Sterner                       Manager, Academic Technical Support
Fast:  <BRENT@uwo.ca>               <BRENT@UWOVAX.BITNET>

marra@samuel.enet.dec.com (Dave Marra) (06/12/91)

in <1991Jun11.113458.9384@uwovax.uwo.ca> Brent Sterner writes:

>Could some kind soul please explain the significance of the VMS sysgen
>parameter WINDOW_SYSTEM?

This parameter is used to help the operating system decide which windowing
system it should load, 0 = none, 1 - DECwindows, 2 = UIS (the older
vms windowing system)

>I'm running VMS 5.4.  SYSGEN says it is dynamic.

yes it is dynamic, which means that you can change it at anytime, It being the
parameter, not it's effects.

>TFM says it "loads" the appropriate window system (implies boot time to me),
>and mentions VAX workstations specifically.  My VAX is a 6430.
>WINDOW_SYSTEM is currently set to 0, which is not documented.
>Please enlighten me.  Thanks,   b.

If it is zero, then the system will NOT automatically call the DECwindows
startup files.  If you feel courageous, look through the VMS$*.COM files
in sys$startup.  Somewhere in there you'll see that it calls the DECwindows
startup files.  If zero, you must manually call the startup file.

						.dave.

+ Dave Marra                            | TMF Engineering                     +
+ Software Validation Suites            | 37 Carlene Drive                    +
+ X Windows / Motif / VMS               | Nashua, NH 03062                    +
+ Views are mine, and worth as much.                                          +

marbru@auto-trol.com (Martin Brunecky) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.113458.9384@uwovax.uwo.ca> brent@uwovax.uwo.ca (Brent Sterner) writes:

>Could some kind soul please explain the of the VMS sysgen parameter
>WINDOW_SYSTEM?  I'm running VMS 5.4.  SYSGEN says it is dynamic.
  It is dynamic to that extent you can change it anytime; however, parameter
  is only used in few places, and the new value will be used when such pieces
  of the code is used.
  Values:
  0 - no window system
  1 - DECWindows, i.e. commands SYSGEN to load X device drivers
  2 - VWS/UIS,    i.e. commands SYSGEN to load UIS device drivers

  Note SYSGEN normally loads (AUTO ALL) drivers for ALL devices it finds
  on the system. However, for frame buffers (QVSS,QDSS...) DEC has different
  drivers (based on window system used) for the same physical device.
  So, even though SYSGEN "sees" the device, it needs an advice which driver
  to load.
  And so, on your 6xxx machine, it won't load anything since there is no
  frame buffer.

  Also, WINDOW_SYSTEM is used by AUTOGEN to properly configure the system,
  however (since I am not a big fan of AUTOGEN), I am not 100% sure that
  this is the ONLY thing it looks for. Tuning system for X client-only
  application may be yet another piece of black magic.

  I don't know about any other utility using WINDOW_SYSTEM value - but
  there are many other things I don't know.....

--
=*= Opinions presented here are solely of my own and not those of Auto-trol =*=
Martin Brunecky                      marbru%auto-trol@sunpeaks.central.sun.com