[comp.windows.x.motif] table widget

dorothy@aspect.UUCP (Dorothy Nelson) (01/18/91)

Someone here requested info on a table widget.  I'd like some leads on that
as well-- is it ftp-able, public domain, etc. etc.

Thanks all over the place,
--Dorothy Nelson		...!uunet!aspect!dorothy

jfr@locus.com (Jon Rosen) (01/19/91)

In article <7378@aspect.UUCP> dorothy@aspect.UUCP (Dorothy Nelson) writes:

>Someone here requested info on a table widget.  I'd like some leads on that
>as well-- is it ftp-able, public domain, etc. etc.

Me too!... I assume what is meant by a Table widget is one that handles
an IxJ table of data in rows and columns with some behavior available to
change column widths, scroll left, right, up, down, etc...

If such a custom widget is available somewhere, I would be very
interested....

Thanx also in advance,

Jon Rosen

ed@lvw6.lvw.loral.com (Ed Allen) (01/29/91)

   From: jfr@locus.com (Jon Rosen)
   Newsgroups: comp.windows.x.motif
   Date: 18 Jan 91 17:34:05 GMT

   In article <7378@aspect.UUCP> dorothy@aspect.UUCP (Dorothy Nelson) writes:

   >Someone here requested info on a table widget.  I'd like some leads on that
   >as well-- is it ftp-able, public domain, etc. etc.

   Me too!... I assume what is meant by a Table widget is one that handles

I also have a user hounding me about Table widgets.  If you mailed a response
instead of posting could you send me a copy of any pointers.

	Thanks
--
Never trust a man who wears white shoes.           | Ed Allen
Vote Libertarian...     Scare the Hell out of 'em. | Loral Command & Contr. Sys.

waldbaub@cs.rpi.edu (Barry D. Waldbaum) (02/05/91)

Where can I pick up a copy off the source and docs for the table widgets.
thanks!
Barry

markcon@sydvm1.iinus1.ibm.com ("Mark Connell") (02/05/91)

I would like to get a copy of the Table Widget mentioned in this discussion
list. Can someone send it to me or give me the address of a machine I can
FTP it from.

Thanks,
Mark

Mark Connell                         Internet: markcon@sydvm1.iinus1.ibm.com
Melbourne, Australia                    Phone: +61-3-698-1749
IBM Australia                             FAX: +61-3-696-7735
                         Motif Improves Your X Life !!

adrian@mti.mti.com (Adrian McCarthy) (02/07/91)

In article <ED.91Jan28200133@lvw6.lvw.loral.com> ed@lvw6.lvw.loral.com
(Ed Allen) writes:
>In article <21337@oolong.la.locus.com> jfr@locus.com (Jon Rosen) writes:
>I also have a user hounding me about Table widgets.  If you mailed a response
>instead of posting could you send me a copy of any pointers.

Has anybody successfully compiled the table widget on VMS with DEC's release
of Motif 1.1?  They seem to have a few pieces missing from the new libraries
(which were around in the 1.0 libraries).  I've been on the phone with DEC
about it, but they haven't come up with any answers yet.  Everything compiles
since all of the definitions are there in the header files, but the following
symbols are unresolved at link time:
  _XMBULLETINBOARDRETURN, _XMMANAGERENTER, _XMMANAGERFOCUSIN,
  _XMMANAGERFOCUSOUT, _XMMANAGERHELP, _XMMOVEOBJECT, _XMREDISPLAYGADGETS,
  _XMRESIZEOBJECT

Other than this problem, the 1.1 release seems pretty good.  I'm especially
happy about the *shared* libraries -- it was about time.

Aid.  (adrian@gonzo.mti.com)

waldbaub@cs.rpi.edu (Barry D. Waldbaum) (02/10/91)

I asked about the table widget about 10 days ago. I have not gotten any
thanks in advance
-Barry

adrian@mti.mti.com (Adrian McCarthy) (02/23/91)

In article <1047@attc.UUCP> marbru@auto-trol.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) writes:
>In article <1328@mti.mti.com> adrian@mti.UUCP (Adrian McCarthy) writes:
>>In article <ED.91Jan28200133@lvw6.lvw.loral.com> ed@lvw6.lvw.loral.com
>>(Ed Allen) writes:
>>Has anybody successfully compiled the table widget on VMS with DEC's release
>>of Motif 1.1? ...  Everything compiles
>>since all of the definitions are there in the header files, but
>> [several _Xm routines] are unresolved at link time....

>As all the missing entry points are "_Xm", aparently the DEC person considered
>those "private" to the Motif toolkit, and made them "hidden". Even though
>any widget that want's to plug-and-play into Motif needs a lots of such
>_Xm calls (though undocumented).

According to the DEC support person I spoke with, it was OSF, not DEC, that
decided the _Xm stuff should be private and undocumented.  (Although I'm sure
it didn't bother the DEC folks either.)  He quoted me several sentences
from an OSF statement which said that binary upward compatibility was
considered more important than support for the undocumented routines.  The
statement went on to say that not only are the _Xm routines likely to change
in future versions of Motif, but there were several such changes of
significance between versions 1.0 and 1.1.

I argued that a few of the _Xm routines were declared in non-private header
files (traversal.h).  The DEC rep said that this was probably an oversight and
that the definitions would probably be moved to private header files in a
future release.

Aid.  (adrian@gonzo.mti.com)

marbru@attc.UUCP (Martin Brunecky) (03/03/91)

In article <1353@mti.mti.com> adrian@mti.UUCP (Adrian McCarthy) writes:

>According to the DEC support person I spoke with, it was OSF, not DEC, that
>decided the _Xm stuff should be private and undocumented.  (Although I'm sure
>it didn't bother the DEC folks either.)  He quoted me several sentences
>from an OSF statement which said that binary upward compatibility was
>considered more important than support for the undocumented routines.  The
>statement went on to say that not only are the _Xm routines likely to change
>in future versions of Motif, but there were several such changes of
>significance between versions 1.0 and 1.1.

 True....

>I argued that a few of the _Xm routines were declared in non-private header
>files (traversal.h).  The DEC rep said that this was probably an oversight and
>that the definitions would probably be moved to private header files in a
>future release.

    So there goes Motif's "openness" on DEC. They alreade have decided
    to sacrifize widget set extensibility to binary compatibility.

    As some _Xm routines will change ( disappear etc. ), this would make
    DEC shareable images incompatible between Motif releases.

    However, without the _Xm routines you can't even *think* of writing
    a subclass of a Motif widget ( well, I mean a real widget, not a demo
    used as a proof that subclassing is possible ).

    Thank you, Digital.

--
=*= Opinions presented here are solely of my own and not those of Auto-trol =*=
Martin Brunecky                           {...}sunpeaks!auto-trol!marbru
(303) 252-2499                        (sometimes also:  marbru@auto-trol.COM )
Auto-trol Technology Corp. 12500 North Washington St., Denver, CO 80241-2404

doug@shamash.cdc.com (Doug Berry) (03/12/91)

Where can I get the source for the table widget?

Thanks,
Randal V. Zoeller

lyons@srg.arinc.af.mil (Don R. Lyons x4811) (03/15/91)

Would someone please email me the source.
Thanx in advance.
	-don
--
Don R Lyons                          Any opinions expressed are my own.
Arinc Research Inc                   uucp : uunet!srg!lyons

bobh@eldar.wr.tek.com (Bob Heath) (06/20/91)

	A while back, when I didn't know I'd need it, somebody posted a table
	widget for motif, which as I recall, managed a set of alligned rows
	and columns (which ironically seems to be the one thing that the motif
 	row-column widget doesn't do). In any case, if somebody knows of a public
	domain system on which I can find the source for the table widget, I'd
	appreciate a pointer.

							Thanks,
								Bob