[sun.open-windows] X thru modems

eric@lifen--.Sun.COM (12/08/90)

Is there a way to forward X11 client/server data (that would normally go
straight to the X11 server) through a modem to an X server on a host on
the other side?  Is it a matter of finding out which socket the X server
listens on (BTW, what address DOES it listen on?), and then creating a
process to "cat" from that port through the modem (and then
"cat" from the modem on the other side to the address the remote X
server is listening on?

If it was that simple...

-Eric

wolf@cbnewsh.att.com (thomas.wolf) (12/08/90)

From article <4146@male.EBay.Sun.COM>, by eric@lifen--.Sun.COM:

> Is there a way to forward X11 client/server data (that would normally go
> straight to the X11 server) through a modem to an X server on a host on
> the other side?  Is it a matter of finding out which socket the X server
> listens on (BTW, what address DOES it listen on?), and then creating a
> process to "cat" from that port through the modem (and then
> "cat" from the modem on the other side to the address the remote X
> server is listening on?
>
> If it was that simple...

I think there are two ways you can go: (1) Serial-Line Internet Protocol (SLIP)
or (2) use Graphon's X terminals for the server side.  The first solution
is a  pretty standard one, I think.  If your hosts are Suns, I think they
come with SLIP (never tried it myself).   The speed might be a problem if
you're running over modems slower than 56kb :-)
From what I've seen of the Graphon terminals, the second solution works
pretty nicely over modems - I believe 9.6kb is enough to have decent response.
The reason the system is so "responsive" is that no X protocol traverses
the link - Graphon uses their own command-set and probably do heavy compression
to boot.

With regards to the address of the X server: I believe it resides at
port 6000+n where 'n' refers to the display number.  For instance, if you
have your DISPLAY variable set to <hostname>:0.0, the first '0' is 'n'.

Hope this helps,
Tom

--
+-------------------------------------+ "Stupid" questions are better than

holtz@netcord.Eng.Sun.COM (Brian Holtz) (12/09/90)

In article <1990Dec7.225550.17100@cbnewsh.att.com> wolf@cbnewsh.att.com (thomas.wolf) writes:

>(1) Serial-Line Internet Protocol (SLIP)
>or (2) use Graphon's X terminals for the server side.

If both ends of your modem are Suns, then you could try wiretap from
/usr/local, the man page of which says that it multiplexes X protocol
requests over a serial line.
--
Brian Holtz (holtz@netcord.Eng.Sun.COM)