[sub.os.unix] Hack-Attempt on dobag

rfarris@rfengr.com (Rick Farris) (04/02/91)

In article <UTKPKWH@dobag.in-berlin.de> lumpi@dobag.in-berlin.de (Joern Lubkoll) writes:

> and i think, my time with isc unix is over, anybody who
> wants to buy an whole interactive - system (with hardware,
> software and so on - i'll get a sun...) ?

You know, we piss and moan about the security bugs in ISC,
but the month doesn't go by that I don't get an "URGENT
SECURITY VIOLATION IN PROGRESS" message from CERT/CC about
SUNs.

Speaking of which, how come the ISC bug never showed up
there?

--
Rick Farris  RF Engineering POB M Del Mar, CA 92014  voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@rfengr.com     ...!ucsd!serene!rfarris      serenity bbs 259-7757

marzusch@odiehh.hanse.de (Ralph-Diether Marzusch) (04/04/91)

lumpi@dobag.in-berlin.de (Joern Lubkoll) writes:

>(Joern is complaining that he hasn't received the bug fix yet)

Well, my dealer (CMS in Hamburg) sent me a bug fix for the "toete" bug
about 2 weeks ago (at least for the runtime system, there seems to be
a special fix for the software development system as well). At least
"toete" dumps core (as it is supposed to do).

Bye for now -
  Ralph-Diether
--
    .--------------------------------------------------------------------.
    | Ralph-Diether Marzusch, Rehwinkel 2, D-2070 Grosshansdorf, Germany |

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (04/04/91)

>> and i think, my time with isc unix is over, anybody who
>> wants to buy an whole interactive - system (with hardware,
>> software and so on - i'll get a sun...) ?
>
>You know, we piss and moan about the security bugs in ISC,
>but the month doesn't go by that I don't get an "URGENT
>SECURITY VIOLATION IN PROGRESS" message from CERT/CC about
>SUNs.

Well gosh.  Maybe because Suns are way more popular on the Internet.

It's only very recently that you could even get an ISC based machine's
networking toys to work for more than five minutes at a time.

>Speaking of which, how come the ISC bug never showed up
>there?

I wonder why.  "ISC who?"

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com