[comp.lang.objective-c] scrolling list

dcheslow@xerxes.tamu.edu (David A Cheslow) (09/20/90)

i have need for a scroll view which contains a simple list of strings, such that i can add a string to the end of the list and have the scrolling view automatically updated..... i would appreciate any hints before i reinvent a wheeel.u

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (09/20/90)

In article <8381@helios.TAMU.EDU>, dcheslow@xerxes.tamu.edu (David A Cheslow)
says:

>i have need for a scroll view which contains a simple list of strings, such   t
>tha
>i can add a string to the end of the list and have the scrolling view
>automatically updated..... i would appreciate any hints before i reinvent a
>wheeel.u

Ah!  The big test.  Will someone provide a software IC to solve this
problem, that can be plugged into the application and used without ado?
Or will he end up reinventing the wheel?  Stay tuned...

                                                       8-) 8-) 8-)

wiml@milton.u.washington.edu (William Lewis) (09/21/90)

In article <90263.114405UH2@psuvm.psu.edu> UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:
>In article <8381@helios.TAMU.EDU>, dcheslow@xerxes.tamu.edu (David A Cheslow)
>says:
>>i have need for a scroll view which contains a simple list of strings, such
>>that i can add a string to the end of the list and have the scrolling view
>>automatically updated..... i would appreciate any hints before i reinvent a
>>wheeel.
>
>Ah!  The big test.  Will someone provide a software IC to solve this
>problem, that can be plugged into the application and used without ado?
>Or will he end up reinventing the wheel?  Stay tuned...

   Actually, come to think of it, this should be do-able without actually
writing much code ... assuming you're on a NeXT =8) ... you can create
a ScrollView, set its docview to a matrix of textcells, and there you
go. You'd have to create a new textcell each time you wanted to add a
string but that shouldn't be too difficult. The problem with this
is it's sometimes unclear what messages you need to send to update the
display. I'm not near a NeXT so I can't say offhand.
   Or, you could use the "BrowserBay" and "BrowserMatrix" classes that
have been on the NeXT archives for a while (in fact, they're about the only
things in the classes/ directories). These look more like the Directory
Browser, and are meant to act like it, but you can probably tell the cells
not to allow themselves to be selected ...
   And if you're *not* on a NeXT, maybe someone who is has benefitted from
this use of bandwidth... (Notice I wrote this entire article with only
reused code!)

--
wiml@milton.acs.washington.edu       Seattle, Washington  | No sig under
(William Lewis)   |  47 41' 15" N   122 42' 58" W  |||||||| construction