[comp.lang.objective-c] nested structures

mikeg@stpstn.UUCP (Mike Goda) (11/01/90)

> In article <-T4%8D_@rpi.edu> mcintyre@turing.cs.rpi.edu (David McIntyre) writes:
> ->...that Objective-C barfs on the following code:
> ->
> ->typedef struct {
> ->        long flags;  /* marks which fields in this structure are defined */
> ->        int x, y;          /* obsolete for new window mgrs, but clients */
> ->        int width, height;      /* should set so old wm's don't mess up */
> ->        int min_width, min_height;
> ->        int max_width, max_height;
> ->        int width_inc, height_inc;
> ->        struct {
> ->                int x;  /* numerator */
> ->                int y;  /* denominator */
> ->        } min_aspect, max_aspect;
> ->        int base_width, base_height;        /* added by ICCCM version 1 */
> ->        int win_gravity;                    /* added by ICCCM version 1 */
> ->} XSizeHints;
> ->
> ->The Objective-C processor tries to name the x-y struct the same thing twice,
> ->causing serious problems.  Those used to programming in X will remember the
> ->above code from /mit/lib/X/Xutil.h, in the X11R3/4 distribution.
> ->
> ->This causes pains for people trying to use X with Objective-C.

A previous Stepstone reply:

> This is a known bug involving the generation of code for anonymous
> structures which has been fixed for the next release.

My response follows:

I would like to inform everyone about the status of this problem.

This was a bug in the initial release of Objective-C 4.0 and was fixed in
released 4.0.3 (which has been shipping since January this year).  The bug
fix will obviously be carried over to our next maintenance release. The
following platforms and operating systems have the fix incorporated in
Objective-C Version 4.0.3:

	DECstation 3100 Ultrix 4.0
        Data General AViiON DG/UX 4.30
	IBM RISC System/6000 AIX 3.1
	HP 9000/800 and 300 Series hp-ux 7.0
        SCO UNIX 3.2
	Sun 3 OS 4.1
	Sun 4 OS 4.1

If you have not received an upgrade and you are on maintenance, please contact
us so you may receive the latest version of Objective-C.
--
The Stepstone Corporation                    Michael Goda
75 Glen Rd.                                  mikeg@stepstone.com