[comp.lang.objective-c] Looking for a few good books....

jkusters@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John A. Kusters, jr.) (11/14/90)

I am taking a course here at Poly using the NeXT workstations.  There
is little documentation about Objective C that is clear.  Therefore, I
am looking for a few (or one) good books on Objective C.  I don't need
all of the NeXT specific stuff, just a good tutorial and reference.
Please send replies via e-mail, since I may not see it here.

Thanks for any help you can give...

JOhn.

*  John A Kusters, jr.                         jkusters@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU   *
* "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want * One World *
\_Or, I'm still alive and there is nothing I want to do..."-TMBG__*_One Net___/

art@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Arthur L Miller) (11/16/90)

Hi everyone,

I might as well add my requests for this book parade.  Please post
anything with the remotest chance of helping us beginners.

Also in the interim, if anyone has an application, a relatively small
one, with excellent comments that could help in deciphering the design
of an application in Obj-c, I'd appreciate it.

Lisa (I'm not Art!)
Lisa (I'm not Art!)
Lisa (I'm not Art)

andyn@stpstn.UUCP (Andy Novobilski) (11/16/90)

In article <1064@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> art@casbah.acns.nwu.edu
(Lisa, not Arthur L Miller) writes:
>Hi everyone,
>
>I might as well add my requests for this book parade.  Please post
>anything with the remotest chance of helping us beginners.
>
>Also in the interim, if anyone has an application, a relatively small
>one, with excellent comments that could help in deciphering the design
>of an application in Obj-c, I'd appreciate it.

I have several small applications written in Objective-C that might
prove useful, including the source code from the example given in:

Novobilski, A., "A Pictorial Design Notation for Software-ICs",
The Journal of Object-Oriented Programming, July/August 1990, Vol3, No2.

All examples will be "as is."  That should be translated as "working
on a Sun 3/60, Sun OS 4.??, Sunview, Objective-C 4.0 from Stepstone,
and unsupported."  The code will be marked such that anyone who wishes
to port the code to another platform and then redistribute it free,
will be allowed.

If anyone is interested, send me email.  I will batch the requests and do
one of two things:
  1) a single emailing the week after Thanksgiving.
  2) Or, post to an appropriate sources newsgroup if the volume of
     requests warrants it.

Hope this will help.
Andy N.
---