[comp.lang.objective-c] AsciiFiler/Unknown class.

greg@cygnus.sce.carleton.ca (Greg Franks) (11/23/90)

Greetings.  We have an evolving application that adds new classes,
changes existing classes and disposes of old classes.  Adding new
classes is no problem.  We have a solution to the dreaded 'change
instance variable of a class and try to read in old versions problem'
that works for us so changing classes is no problem.  However, we have
now tried to dispose of a class.  No problem... Just link in 'Unknown'
and the old references will be read in and blown away.  Surprise
surprise.  The code for handling 'Unknown' in Filer.m has been
commented out.  Furthermore, the interface to Unknown has changed so
even if we compiled it back in it would still bomb.  Sooo, we have
left the old class linked in.  Question: Has anyone successfully used
Unknown??  If so, can they share the method for getting it work.
Enquiring minds want to know!

We are running objc 4.0.

Thanks
--
Greg Franks, (613) 788-5726               | "The reason that God was able to
Systems Engineering, Carleton University, | create the world in seven days is

ras@stpstn.UUCP (Richard A. Strilowich) (11/29/90)

Greg Franks@carleton posted:

|  Greetings.  We have an evolving application that adds new classes,
|  changes existing classes and disposes of old classes.  Adding new
|  classes is no problem.  We have a solution to the dreaded 'change
|  instance variable of a class and try to read in old versions problem'
|  that works for us so changing classes is no problem.  However, we have
|  now tried to dispose of a class.  No problem... Just link in 'Unknown'
|  and the old references will be read in and blown away.  Surprise
|  surprise.  The code for handling 'Unknown' in Filer.m has been
|  commented out.  Furthermore, the interface to Unknown has changed so
|  even if we compiled it back in it would still bomb.  Sooo, we have
|  left the old class linked in.  Question: Has anyone successfully used
|  Unknown??  If so, can they share the method for getting it work.
|  Enquiring minds want to know!

|  We are running objc 4.0.

We are working on a solution but this will not make it into our new
Objective-C 4.3 release.  When we have a solution we will issue a posting
on the net telling everyone how to get the fix.  Sorry for any
inconvenience this may have cause anyone.
--
The Stepstone Corporation                    Richard Strilowich
75 Glen Rd.                                  ras@stepstone.com

gavin@praxis.co.uk (Gavin Finnie) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Nov22.215303.29686@ccs.carleton.ca> greg@cygnus.sce.carleton.ca
(Greg Franks) writes:

>Greetings.  We have an evolving application that adds new classes,
>changes existing classes and disposes of old classes.  Adding new
>classes is no problem.  We have a solution to the dreaded 'change
>instance variable of a class and try to read in old versions problem'
>that works for us so changing classes is no problem.

I would be interested to see people's solutions to this general problem
(not just the specific question about the Unknown class), since it is a
potential headache when maintaining a large system written in Objective-C.

Gavin Finnie                             email:  gavin@praxis.co.uk
Praxis Systems plc
20 Manvers Street                        phone: +44-225-444700
Bath BA1 1PX, England                    fax:   +44-225-465205