[comp.lang.objective-c] Newcomer to Objective C

c60c-3ia@web-1f.berkeley.edu (Centurion) (03/13/91)

I am new to Objective C, and hence I do not know Anything about Objective C.
I am an experienced C and Pascal prgrammer, however.  I would be grateful
if anyone can give me the following information:

	1.  Books on Objective C.  I have seen lots of books on C++ and I
own one of them, but so far I have not seen a single book on Objective C.

	2.  Public Domian compiler/development tools for Objective C.

	3.  Compiler/development tool (commercial, public domain, or
shareware) of Objective C for Macintosh (Mac OS), Sun SPARC or unix in
general.

Many thanks in advance

groleau@Damrod.McRCIM.McGill.EDU (Francois Groleau) (03/19/91)

In article <1991Mar13.010421.26793@agate.berkeley.edu> c60c-3ia@web-1f.berkeley.edu (Centurion) writes:

>I am new to Objective C, and hence I do not know Anything about Objective C.
>I am an experienced C and Pascal prgrammer, however.  I would be grateful
>if anyone can give me the following information:
>
>	1.  Books on Objective C.  I have seen lots of books on C++ and I
>own one of them, but so far I have not seen a single book on Objective C.

	I had the same problem.  I was told by my local computer bookstore
that there is really only one book on Objective C, that is:

	``Object Oriented Programming -- An Evolutionary Approach''
	by Brad J. Cox (his company (PPI) designed the language!)
	published by Addison-Wesley.

	It is an introduction to object oriented programming with
examples in Objective-C.  However, it is not a "Object-Oriented
Programming Using Objective-C" kind of book.  I guess you will have
to heavily rely on your compiler reference manual.

Francois Groleau |  Going on means going far...  |     // Only Amiga!
McRCIM           |  ...going far means returning |    //
McGill University|                               |\\ //   Proud owner of an
Montreal, Canada |<groleau@moe.mcrcim.mcgill.edu>| \X/    Amiga 3000!